ASEAN-India car rally reaches Vietnam
Submitted by Rajiv Dhoot on Fri, 12/07/2012 - 05:46
Ho Chi Minh, Dec 7 : Participants of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN)-India Car Rally 2012 received a warm welcome as they reached Vietnam.
The rally has so far covered a total distance of about 4000 kilometres across five nations- Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and Cambodia.
From Cambodia, the 31 cars brought in ferries, crossed the Mekong river at Neak Leung, which is 65 kilometres from Phnom Penh.
On reaching Ho Chi Minh on Thursday, the main city of Vietnam, drivers were greeted with cheering locals, including children waving miniature flags of ASEAN countries.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi, who was also present on the occasion, said that the rally would boost ties with Vietnam.
"It will improve connectivity of land, sea and air it will boost trade and investment flows, tourism and build people-to-people contact. I am glad to learn that India and Vietnam are actively working to establish direct air link which I hope will fructify in the near future," he said.
The ASEAN- India Car Rally 2012, organized by the Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India and the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), kicked off on 26th November 2012 at Yogyakarta, Indonesia with a ceremonial flag off at Singapore.
The car rally marks the 20th commemorative year of the ASEAN- India relations and 10th year of the summit-level engagement and was organised in close coordination with ASEAN states and the ASEAN secretariat.
This is the second edition of the car rally (the first being held in 2004), which will travel through 8 of the 10 ASEAN states, and it will ceremonially end in New Delhi on December 20, and will be flagged down by Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
India''s Dialogue Partnership with the ASEAN countries is one of the cornerstones of its ''Look East'' policy. (ANI)
- Cristiano Ronaldo wishes Irina Shayk 'greatest happiness' post split and amid new love rumors
- Naomi Watts to be honored with Costume Designers Guild's Spotlight award
- Akshay Kumar promotes 'Baby' in New Delhi
- Pregnant Kate Middleton reveals baby's 'moving all the time'
- Shakira poses with baby bump for UNICEF World Baby Shower
- Jennifer Aniston proclaims herself No. 1 'Oscar snub'
- Joanne Froggatt heading to LA amid fears 'Downton Abbey' role may end soon
- Kussh Sinha’s wedding reception today