Brisbane, Nov 8 : Fast bowler Peter Siddle believes his fellow Australian pacers can contend with anyone in the world and even with their vaunted South African rivals this summer.
South Africa’s pace trio of Dale Steyn, Vernon Philander and Morne Morkel is widely regarded as one of the best fast-bowling line-ups in world cricket for many years.
But Siddle is confident Australia has more firepower in to undo the Proteas'' batsmen.
He said the situation facing Australia’s quicks is no different to last summer when they embarrassed an ageing but statistically world-class Indian batting line-up.
“India coming out here, at the time, although they''d aged a little bit their batting line-up was just as strong as South Africa''s and we stuck it to them. It was just about the belief in the bowling unit that we have ... we can definitely contend with anyone in the world,” Siddle said.
“They''ve (South Africa) got the record under their belt. They''ve played for a little bit longer and might be a bit more experienced than our line-up at the moment ... but I think we can put it up to them this summer, we can match them, definitely. By the end of it we can be reaching some of the heights where they''re at right now,” he said. (ANI)
- Clarke won’t finalise playing XI for Gabba Test before reassessing pitch on Friday
- Kallis confident Proteas’ top-order batsmen will click against Australia
- Oz team embarrassed after leakage of secret plan to counter Proteas
- Donald terms Dale Steyn ‘greatest ever’ fast bowler
- U-19 World Cup: Sri Lanka beat Afghanistan, win Plate Championship