London, Nov 22 - Chelsea appointed Rafael Benitez as their interim team manager until the end of the season after the reigning European Champions sacked Roberto di Matteo.
Di Matteo was fired after Tuesday's 0-3 defeat to Juventus in Turin which left Chelsea facing elimination at the group stage of the Champions League, reports Xinhua.
"Chelsea Football Club can confirm Rafael Benitez has been appointed interim first-team manager until the end of the season," said a club statement.
"The owner (Roman Abramovich) and the board believe that in Benitez we have a manager with significant experience at the highest level of football, who can come in and immediately help deliver our objectives."
The 52-year-old Spaniard is due to meet Chelsea's players at the club's training ground in Cobham, south of London, Thursday. (IANS)
- Cristiano Ronaldo wishes Irina Shayk 'greatest happiness' post split and amid new love rumors
- Naomi Watts to be honored with Costume Designers Guild's Spotlight award
- Akshay Kumar promotes 'Baby' in New Delhi
- Pregnant Kate Middleton reveals baby's 'moving all the time'
- Shakira poses with baby bump for UNICEF World Baby Shower
- Jennifer Aniston proclaims herself No. 1 'Oscar snub'
- Joanne Froggatt heading to LA amid fears 'Downton Abbey' role may end soon
- Kussh Sinha’s wedding reception today