Jaipur, May 10 - Chennai Super Kings produced a clinical performance to post a 63-run victory over Rajasthan Royals in the Indian Premier League here Monday.
Set to chase 197 for victory, Rajasthan Royals were bowled out for 133 in 19.3 overs. It was the biggest loss of Rajasthan Royals at home where they have been a force to reckon with.
With this victory, defending champions Chennai Super Kings jumped to the second place in the points table with 14 points.
Rajasthan Royals are in the fifth position with 11 points from as many matches. Top four teams will fight for the title.
Sent into bat, Super Kings rustled up 196/3 with vital contributions from the top order.
Michael Hussey (46) and Murali Vijay (53) laid the foundation with a 77-run opening stand.
Skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni then slammed 41 not out off just 19 balls, cloberring three fours and three towering sixes and shared a 44-run stand with Suresh Raina (43).
Rajasthan Royals were depending on Shane Watson to give them a good start to chase the formidable total, but the Australian departed scoring only 11. He was the second wicket to fall after Rahul Dravid was caught behind off Doug Bollinger (3-22).
Another Royals batting heavyweight Ross Taylor was dismissed cheaply by Albie Morkel and the hosts slumped to 63 for three in 8.2 overs. Ajinkaya Rahane (52) played a lone hand but fell short of partners.
For Super Kings Hussey and Vijay scored at a brisk pace before off-spinner Johan Botha broke the partnership when he bowled the Australian.
Hussey's quick-fire 46 came off 30 balls with the help of eight fours.
Vijay reached his half-century with a huge six off Siddharth Trivedi. Vijay paid for his casual running between the wicket when Botha's direct throw caught him short of crease.
Dhoni and Raina then took centrestage and accelerated the scoring rate. (IANS)
- Amanda Seyfried thinks 'life is too short' for stringent diets
- Supermodel Petra Nemcova unveiled as new face of 'Ultimo'
- Was New Bond girl's sex scene with co-star's hubby behind marriage split?
- Mila Kunis debuts svelte post-baby bod, says 'breastfeeding is great workout'
- 'Delighted' Zoe Saldana welcomes twins with hubby
- Simon Cowell slams Lily Allen's corruption blast
- Amy Schumer to host MTV Movie Awards 2015
- Arjun Kapoor, Sonakshi Sinha promotes 'Tevar' at Radio Mirchi Studios in Mumbai