Sydney, Nov. 7 : Australian captain Michael Clarke is convinced that off spinner Nathan Lyon deserves a spot in the Test squad despite his uninspiring statistics in the game.
Lyon''s form has been fiercely debated over the past fortnight after he was treated harshly during a Sheffield Shield match at the Gabba last month.
However, Clarke, who seems to have seen enough of Lyon in the nets this week , said there was evidence to suggest that his confidence has not been dented.
"I faced him today and he bowled really well. He is mixing his pace up really well and he has nice shape on the ball," News. com. au quoted Clarke, as saying.
"I''m confident that Lyon will be fine if he''s the opportunity to play on Friday. In the past he''s made the most of opportunities for Australia and bowled really well," he added.
According to the paper, Lyon is competing against pacemen Mitchell Starc, Peter Siddle, James Pattinson and Ben Hilfenhaus for the final position in the team.
Asked whether he would consider playing a pace quartet against the South African team, Clarke responded, "Ask me that in two days. I don''t know the 11 right now."
"It is hard to tell now because there are grass clipping on top which make it appear whiter but it is green underneath. If its a green-top you have to think about four quicks, but I do like to have a spinner in the team," he added. (ANI)
- Cristiano Ronaldo wishes Irina Shayk 'greatest happiness' post split and amid new love rumors
- Naomi Watts to be honored with Costume Designers Guild's Spotlight award
- Akshay Kumar promotes 'Baby' in New Delhi
- Pregnant Kate Middleton reveals baby's 'moving all the time'
- Shakira poses with baby bump for UNICEF World Baby Shower
- Jennifer Aniston proclaims herself No. 1 'Oscar snub'
- Joanne Froggatt heading to LA amid fears 'Downton Abbey' role may end soon
- Kussh Sinha’s wedding reception today