De Villiers says loves wicket keeping role since it keeps him on toes
Submitted by Rajiv Dhoot on Mon, 12/03/2012 - 08:17
Johannesburg, Dec 3 : South Africa batsman AB de Villiers has claimed he loves the wicket keeping role for the Proteas since it always keeps him on his toes throughout the match.
The 28-year-old took up the gloves on the tour of England last July, initially as an interim measure, when a freak eye injury prematurely ended the career of 147-Test wicketkeeper Mark Boucher.
Although De Villiers' skills as a wicketkeeper have never been in doubt, the lack of so much as a half century since he adopted the role had some asking whether the extra duties were taking their toll on his batting.
De Villiers answered the doubters in some style on day three with an aggressive 184-ball 169 littered with cover drives, pull shots, hook shots and three stunning reverse sweeps for four on successive balls to get him to the hundred mark.
"Obviously, there''s a bit of added pressure on me with the gloves in hand. It''s been coming for a while now. Can I score runs with the gloves? Luckily I did today," Sports24 quoted De Villiers, as saying.
"I honestly believe I don''t get as tired when I''m ''keeping. When you are in the field and running up and down, it''s really hard work and it can be mentally draining as well. When I''m ''keeping, I have 30 yards to run between overs and that''s it," he added.
"I''ve got to expect the ball a bit more often but I love being in the game, it keeps me on my toes and I''m really loving having the gloves in hand," he said. (ANI)
- Cristiano Ronaldo wishes Irina Shayk 'greatest happiness' post split and amid new love rumors
- Naomi Watts to be honored with Costume Designers Guild's Spotlight award
- Akshay Kumar promotes 'Baby' in New Delhi
- Pregnant Kate Middleton reveals baby's 'moving all the time'
- Shakira poses with baby bump for UNICEF World Baby Shower
- Jennifer Aniston proclaims herself No. 1 'Oscar snub'
- Joanne Froggatt heading to LA amid fears 'Downton Abbey' role may end soon
- Kussh Sinha’s wedding reception today