Djokovic defeats Tsonga in London
Submitted by Rajiv Dhoot on Tue, 11/06/2012 - 10:31
London, Nov 6 : Novak Djokovic won his opening match at the $8.85 million World Tour Finals here defeating Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in two sets.
The World No. 1, who failed to make it out of Round Robin stage last year, beat the Frenchman for the fifth time this season, grabbing a 7-6(4), 6-3 win Monday.
"To be quite honest, he was the better player throughout the first set. I faced many break points and I didn't have any in the opening set. I managed to serve well, play well, stay mentally tough, and tried to fight my way through," said Djokovic.
The Serb had to save three break points to take the first set on a tie break before dominating the second, where he lost only two points on his serve.
"It's more he's taking his chances all the time and me, I miss on big points," Tsonga said after the match.
"The next match will be really important for me."
Djokovic next plays his U. S. Open final tormentor Andy Murray while Tsonga plays Tomas Berdych Wednesday.(IANS)
- Shah Rukh Khan`s HNY now available online
- Ringo Starr, Paul Mc Cartney lead heartfelt tributes to singer Joe Cocker
- Sofia Vergara will do anything to stay young
- Stacy Keibler credits strict workout routine and healthy diet for losing baby weight
- Is Leona Lewis' beau planning to pop the question on Christmas?
- Paul McCartney to write a song on Eric Garner protest
- Kourtney K names new newborn son Reign Aston Disick
- Elton John finally marries long-time partner David Furnish