Djokovic defeats Tsonga in London
Submitted by Rajiv Dhoot on Tue, 11/06/2012 - 10:31
London, Nov 6 : Novak Djokovic won his opening match at the $8.85 million World Tour Finals here defeating Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in two sets.
The World No. 1, who failed to make it out of Round Robin stage last year, beat the Frenchman for the fifth time this season, grabbing a 7-6(4), 6-3 win Monday.
"To be quite honest, he was the better player throughout the first set. I faced many break points and I didn't have any in the opening set. I managed to serve well, play well, stay mentally tough, and tried to fight my way through," said Djokovic.
The Serb had to save three break points to take the first set on a tie break before dominating the second, where he lost only two points on his serve.
"It's more he's taking his chances all the time and me, I miss on big points," Tsonga said after the match.
"The next match will be really important for me."
Djokovic next plays his U. S. Open final tormentor Andy Murray while Tsonga plays Tomas Berdych Wednesday.(IANS)
- Nicole Scherzinger reveals new album was like 'therapy'
- 'Avatar 2' to begin casting in LA, Wellington soon
- 'Busy' Brad Pitt owes buddy George Clooney 'wedding present'
- Amal Clooney is funny, 'supremely' self-confident in real life
- 'Bigg Boss' has made me a household name: Andy
- Officially divorced Heidi Klum gushes about new beau
- Archie Panjabi to quit 'The Good Wife' for new 20th Century Fox TV pilot
- Kourtney Kardashian expecting 'baby girl'