Djokovic defeats Tsonga in London
Submitted by Rajiv Dhoot on Tue, 11/06/2012 - 10:31
London, Nov 6 : Novak Djokovic won his opening match at the $8.85 million World Tour Finals here defeating Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in two sets.
The World No. 1, who failed to make it out of Round Robin stage last year, beat the Frenchman for the fifth time this season, grabbing a 7-6(4), 6-3 win Monday.
"To be quite honest, he was the better player throughout the first set. I faced many break points and I didn't have any in the opening set. I managed to serve well, play well, stay mentally tough, and tried to fight my way through," said Djokovic.
The Serb had to save three break points to take the first set on a tie break before dominating the second, where he lost only two points on his serve.
"It's more he's taking his chances all the time and me, I miss on big points," Tsonga said after the match.
"The next match will be really important for me."
Djokovic next plays his U. S. Open final tormentor Andy Murray while Tsonga plays Tomas Berdych Wednesday.(IANS)
- Will Smith's wife Jada Pinkett reckons trusting kids is best parenting
- Matt Damon in talks to star in 'The Great Wall'
- Clooney to wed in custom Giorgio Armani tux
- KBC gets its first 7 crore winner in two brothers
- Liv Tyler doesn't want to know baby's sex?
- Kendall Jenner thinks sis KimK's naked GQ cover was ' really embarrassing'
- How Kaley Cuoco `joked way out` of nude snap leak embarrassment
- Angelina Jolie to helm Richard Leakey biopic 'Africa'