Djokovic defeats Tsonga in London
Submitted by Rajiv Dhoot on Tue, 11/06/2012 - 10:31
London, Nov 6 : Novak Djokovic won his opening match at the $8.85 million World Tour Finals here defeating Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in two sets.
The World No. 1, who failed to make it out of Round Robin stage last year, beat the Frenchman for the fifth time this season, grabbing a 7-6(4), 6-3 win Monday.
"To be quite honest, he was the better player throughout the first set. I faced many break points and I didn't have any in the opening set. I managed to serve well, play well, stay mentally tough, and tried to fight my way through," said Djokovic.
The Serb had to save three break points to take the first set on a tie break before dominating the second, where he lost only two points on his serve.
"It's more he's taking his chances all the time and me, I miss on big points," Tsonga said after the match.
"The next match will be really important for me."
Djokovic next plays his U. S. Open final tormentor Andy Murray while Tsonga plays Tomas Berdych Wednesday.(IANS)
- Cristiano Ronaldo wishes Irina Shayk 'greatest happiness' post split and amid new love rumors
- Naomi Watts to be honored with Costume Designers Guild's Spotlight award
- Akshay Kumar promotes 'Baby' in New Delhi
- Pregnant Kate Middleton reveals baby's 'moving all the time'
- Shakira poses with baby bump for UNICEF World Baby Shower
- Jennifer Aniston proclaims herself No. 1 'Oscar snub'
- Joanne Froggatt heading to LA amid fears 'Downton Abbey' role may end soon
- Kussh Sinha’s wedding reception today