Roseau (Dominica), Nov 22 - Retired ICC Elite Panel umpire Billy
Doctrove has been re-elected president of the Windward Islands Cricket
He was retained unopposed last weekend when the Windward Islands
Cricket Umpires Association held its biennial conference at the Windsor
Park Sports Stadium here.
Morrison Blanchard of St. Lucia was also re-elected unopposed as vice-president.
The rest of the five-man management committee includes former first
class umpire, Evelyn Jones of Grenada who is treasurer, Lennox Abraham
of Dominica who will serve as the secretary and Goaland Greaves of St.
Vincent who will serve as public relations officer.
Doctrove, who is also the area vice-president of the West Indies
Cricket Umpires Association with responsibilities for the Windward
Islands, said he was elated to have been given the opportunity to
continue to serve.
Doctrove said he now wanted to focus on the training of umpires in an
effort to have more Windward Islands Umpires on the West Indies Cricket
Board (WICB) first class panel. Currently, only Lennox Abraham of
Dominica sits on the WICB first class panel of umpires.
Doctrove ended an illustrious international umpiring career last June
after standing in 38 Tests, 112 One-Day Internationals and 17 Twenty20
Internationals. He subsequently pledged to become more involved in
developing the standard of umpiring in the Caribbean.
Umpires from throughout the Windward Islands attended the three-day
conference which began with a formal opening ceremony last Friday
evening. The next conference will be held in St. Lucia in 2014. (IANS)
- Nicole Scherzinger reveals new album was like 'therapy'
- 'Avatar 2' to begin casting in LA, Wellington soon
- 'Busy' Brad Pitt owes buddy George Clooney 'wedding present'
- Amal Clooney is funny, 'supremely' self-confident in real life
- 'Bigg Boss' has made me a household name: Andy
- Officially divorced Heidi Klum gushes about new beau
- Archie Panjabi to quit 'The Good Wife' for new 20th Century Fox TV pilot
- Kourtney Kardashian expecting 'baby girl'