Berlin, Dec 5 : German champions Borussia Dortmund extended their good run in group D with a neat 1- 0 win over Manchester City at the last match of the group stage in UEFA Champions League football.
Dortmund were already qualified for the next round thus Juergen Klopp was able to present a second string stride whereas Manchester City needed a win to maintain their chances for the Europa League, Xinhua reported Tuesday.
The hosts needed some time to find their rhythm at outsold Signal Iduna Park whereas the "Citizen" controlled the ball in the opening period unable to convert their ball possession into a tangible reward.
Manchester City striker Edin Dzeko tested Dortmund's goalkeeper Roman Weidenfeller with a long-range effort in the 35th minute. Two minutes later Dortmund Marco Reus nearly opened the scoring but Joe Hart was able to turn the ball around the post.
Promising goal scoring opportunities were a rare occurrence at both sides of the pitch. With beginning of the second half Dortmund turned up to as Ivan Perisic and Kevin Grokreutz approached Manchester City's penalty area dangerously.
In the 57th minute, Julian Schieber broke the deadlock to score the winner following a sharp cross into the penalty area by Jakub Blaszczykowski.
The hosts almost doubled their tally through Schieber, who squandered his brace with a weak lob. Nonetheless, Borussia Dortmund continued their unbeaten run in Champions League whereas Manchester City remained winless in the group stage.
Dortmund finished on the group stage followed by Real Madrid, Ajax Amsterdam and Manchester City.
"I did not expect that we would finish this group with 14 points," Dortmund coach Juergen Klopp said. (IANS)
- Nicole Scherzinger reveals new album was like 'therapy'
- 'Avatar 2' to begin casting in LA, Wellington soon
- 'Busy' Brad Pitt owes buddy George Clooney 'wedding present'
- Amal Clooney is funny, 'supremely' self-confident in real life
- 'Bigg Boss' has made me a household name: Andy
- Officially divorced Heidi Klum gushes about new beau
- Archie Panjabi to quit 'The Good Wife' for new 20th Century Fox TV pilot
- Kourtney Kardashian expecting 'baby girl'