Shanghai, Nov 22 - Cote D'Ivoire striker Didier Drogba has asked FIFA for special permission to leave China's Shanghai Shenhua on loan despite being outside the official transfer window.
The former Chelsea star is believed to be keen to play for a new team to prepare for the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations as Chinese Super League season has finished, reports Xinhua.
"The FIFA administration services are looking into it," FIFA said in a statement Wedneday.
It is not known whether Drogba has a club lined up to move to but he has been linked with a move back to Marseille, the club he left for Chelsea in 2004, as well as Liverpool.
Drogba joined Shenhua in June on a two-and-a-half-year deal after helping Chelsea to the Champions League title.
The 2013 Africa Cup of Nations will be held in South Africa between Jan 19 and Feb 10. (IANS)
- Cristiano Ronaldo wishes Irina Shayk 'greatest happiness' post split and amid new love rumors
- Naomi Watts to be honored with Costume Designers Guild's Spotlight award
- Akshay Kumar promotes 'Baby' in New Delhi
- Pregnant Kate Middleton reveals baby's 'moving all the time'
- Shakira poses with baby bump for UNICEF World Baby Shower
- Jennifer Aniston proclaims herself No. 1 'Oscar snub'
- Joanne Froggatt heading to LA amid fears 'Downton Abbey' role may end soon
- Kussh Sinha’s wedding reception today