Shanghai, Nov 22 - Cote D'Ivoire striker Didier Drogba has asked FIFA for special permission to leave China's Shanghai Shenhua on loan despite being outside the official transfer window.
The former Chelsea star is believed to be keen to play for a new team to prepare for the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations as Chinese Super League season has finished, reports Xinhua.
"The FIFA administration services are looking into it," FIFA said in a statement Wedneday.
It is not known whether Drogba has a club lined up to move to but he has been linked with a move back to Marseille, the club he left for Chelsea in 2004, as well as Liverpool.
Drogba joined Shenhua in June on a two-and-a-half-year deal after helping Chelsea to the Champions League title.
The 2013 Africa Cup of Nations will be held in South Africa between Jan 19 and Feb 10. (IANS)
- Shah Rukh Khan`s HNY now available online
- Ringo Starr, Paul Mc Cartney lead heartfelt tributes to singer Joe Cocker
- Sofia Vergara will do anything to stay young
- Stacy Keibler credits strict workout routine and healthy diet for losing baby weight
- Is Leona Lewis' beau planning to pop the question on Christmas?
- Paul McCartney to write a song on Eric Garner protest
- Kourtney K names new newborn son Reign Aston Disick
- Elton John finally marries long-time partner David Furnish