Shanghai, Nov 22 - Cote D'Ivoire striker Didier Drogba has asked FIFA for special permission to leave China's Shanghai Shenhua on loan despite being outside the official transfer window.
The former Chelsea star is believed to be keen to play for a new team to prepare for the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations as Chinese Super League season has finished, reports Xinhua.
"The FIFA administration services are looking into it," FIFA said in a statement Wedneday.
It is not known whether Drogba has a club lined up to move to but he has been linked with a move back to Marseille, the club he left for Chelsea in 2004, as well as Liverpool.
Drogba joined Shenhua in June on a two-and-a-half-year deal after helping Chelsea to the Champions League title.
The 2013 Africa Cup of Nations will be held in South Africa between Jan 19 and Feb 10. (IANS)
- Nicole Scherzinger reveals new album was like 'therapy'
- 'Avatar 2' to begin casting in LA, Wellington soon
- 'Busy' Brad Pitt owes buddy George Clooney 'wedding present'
- Amal Clooney is funny, 'supremely' self-confident in real life
- 'Bigg Boss' has made me a household name: Andy
- Officially divorced Heidi Klum gushes about new beau
- Archie Panjabi to quit 'The Good Wife' for new 20th Century Fox TV pilot
- Kourtney Kardashian expecting 'baby girl'