Ecclestone says ‘retirement’ best thing that could happen to Schumacher
Submitted by Rajiv Dhoot on Sat, 10/06/2012 - 12:57
London, Oct 6 : Formula One supreme Bernie Ecclestone has said legendary driver Michael Schumacher has made the right decision to retire for a second time in his career, but added that the German ace should have delayed the announcement of his retirement.
"It is the right time for Michael to go. There have been a few too many shunts and another one in practice today. I think it is good if someone comes along and helps you make a decision. It happens for the right reasons usually," the Daily Express quoted Ecclestone, as saying.
"Lewis wanted out of McLaren because he felt unhappy there. He spoke to me and I told him he should go where he felt he would feel good if he could make a deal that suited him," he added.
"Let's hope it all happens for him. He will take a lot of enthusiasm there and the team will feed off that. He could attract other people to the team. He and Michael have great respect for each other so it should be a good move," he said.
Ecclestone added: "It's the best thing that could have happened to Michael. I am disappointed that Michael made his announcement in Japan about retiring at the end of the season."
"He should not have done that, in my view. God forbid that anything should happen to such a great driver in the next few races when he is looking forward to a new life," he added.
"He has been great for Formula One. No one has come close to his records and he deserves to go out with his head high," he concluded. (ANI)
- Brad Pitt feels marriage is 'more than just a title'
- Kelly Brook says David Mackintosh is needy
- Michael Strahan to do a cameo in 'Magic Mike' sequel
- Pregnant Duchess Kate set to resume royal duties post morning sickness recovery
- Taylor Swift, Metallica to perform at 2015 Rock in Rio festival
- Oscar Isaac wishes George Lucas hadn't tweaked the original 'Star Wars'
- Don't regret having not played Gandhi: Naseeruddin Shah
- Paris Hilton and pals' booze bender at pub comes with $230K price-tag!