Ex-off spinner Yardley urges Oz to play Lyon on ‘seamer-friendly’ Perth pitch
Submitted by Rajiv Dhoot on Thu, 11/29/2012 - 07:18
Sydney, Nov 29 : Bruce Yardley, who showed it was possible to carve a successful career bowling off-spin at the traditionally seamer-friendly Perth pitch, has urged Australia to resist the temptation to play an all-pace attack at the WACA ground by picking Nathan Lyon in the series decider against South Africa.
One of Australia''s most successful finger-spinners, Yardley was supremely confident Lyon had skill to succeed at the traditionally pace-friendly venue if given the opportunity.
"I''d play Lyon, no risk. You''ve got to have some variety in your attack. I think he will bowl very well there. ''He''s taken 50 wickets at no time at all, I rate him highly. I reckon he can go somewhere," the Sydney Morning Herald quoted Yardley, as saying.
Yardley claimed 112 first-class wickets at 25 at the venue, including 19 victims from five Tests at less than 26 apiece, and said the WACA Ground''s traits that helped the quicks could also be turned into a weapon for a spinner.
"I never used to bowl any differently at the WACA because I knew it was going to give me some pace and bounce and I''d have some lovely breezes to curve it," Yardley said.
"You can''t just fire the ball in one direction at the WACA, you''ve got to use the wind and breezes and create curve, loop and turn - Lyon can do that. I think he''ll learn from the Adelaide Test. I don''t think he bowled badly at all," he added. (ANI)
- Will Smith's wife Jada Pinkett reckons trusting kids is best parenting
- Matt Damon in talks to star in 'The Great Wall'
- Clooney to wed in custom Giorgio Armani tux
- KBC gets its first 7 crore winner in two brothers
- Liv Tyler doesn't want to know baby's sex?
- Kendall Jenner thinks sis KimK's naked GQ cover was ' really embarrassing'
- How Kaley Cuoco `joked way out` of nude snap leak embarrassment
- Angelina Jolie to helm Richard Leakey biopic 'Africa'