London, Dec 8 : Eighty-two per cent of fans have rejected UEFA boss Michael Platini’s plan to host the 2020 European Championship in a variety of countries, according to Football Supporters Europe (FSE).
The rejection from the fans has come despite Platini''s claim that the unprecedented continent-wide tournament would see the Euros coming to the fans.
UEFA confirmed the pan-European competition, across 13 different cities, after its executive committee backed the decision in Lausanne on Thursday, with Platini insisting that a low cost event would benefit a continent struggling amid an economic crisis.
The Football Association (FA) has already put Wembley forward as a potential venue for the final, while Scotland, Wales and the Republic of Ireland could host group stage games.
Platini insists his zany idea will not make life difficult for dedicated fans who intend to follow their team to every match, saying that UEFA has already met with supporters'' groups to discuss logistical concerns.
However, a survey conducted by the FSE, an organisation that represents more than three million supporters, has revealed that an overwhelming majority is steadfastly against the Uefa president''s idea.
“The committee members of FSE, Europeans'' leading supporters organisation, were disappointed when they heard about Uefa''s decision to hold Euro 2020 in up to 13 different countries all across the continent under the motto ''Euro for Europe'',” the Guardian quoted a statement from FSE, as saying.
On the results of the survey, which had 1,200 responses, the statement continued: “This reluctance came from individual fans who follow their national team as well as from big national fan organisations, who support their teams at qualifiers and big tournaments and represent several hundreds of thousands of football supporters.” (ANI)
- Cristiano Ronaldo wishes Irina Shayk 'greatest happiness' post split and amid new love rumors
- Naomi Watts to be honored with Costume Designers Guild's Spotlight award
- Akshay Kumar promotes 'Baby' in New Delhi
- Pregnant Kate Middleton reveals baby's 'moving all the time'
- Shakira poses with baby bump for UNICEF World Baby Shower
- Jennifer Aniston proclaims herself No. 1 'Oscar snub'
- Joanne Froggatt heading to LA amid fears 'Downton Abbey' role may end soon
- Kussh Sinha’s wedding reception today