Geneva, Nov 23 : FIFA has denied Didier Drogba's request for special permission to leave Chinese club Shanghai Shenhua on loan ahead of the official transfer period, ending speculation he could join former club Chelsea immediately.
FIFA said it has informed Drogba he won't be exempted from international transfer rules while under contract with the Chinese Super League club, whose season ended this month, Xinhua reports.
Drogba, whose contract expires in 2014, can join another club on a permanent or temporary deal Jan 1.
The 34-year-old Cote D'Ivoire striker hoped to play extra matches to prepare for the African Cup of Nations, which kicks off Jan 19 in South Africa.
FIFA upheld its rules in previous cases when making Major League Soccer players David Beckham, Thierry Henry and Landon Donovan wait until January to make loan moves. (IANS)
- Raveena Tandon unveils latest issue of Savvy magazine in Mumbai
- Demi Lovato enjoys role model status
- Britney Spears admits to getting new beau
- Cara Delevingne earns 6,500 pounds per day!
- Rachel Bilson welcomes baby girl with beau Hayden Christensen
- Stephen Fry quits Twitter over safety concerns
- Singer sues Beyonce for $3m for ripping off song
- Robert Downey Jr. welcomes baby girl with wife Susan