Geneva, Nov 23 : FIFA has denied Didier Drogba's request for special permission to leave Chinese club Shanghai Shenhua on loan ahead of the official transfer period, ending speculation he could join former club Chelsea immediately.
FIFA said it has informed Drogba he won't be exempted from international transfer rules while under contract with the Chinese Super League club, whose season ended this month, Xinhua reports.
Drogba, whose contract expires in 2014, can join another club on a permanent or temporary deal Jan 1.
The 34-year-old Cote D'Ivoire striker hoped to play extra matches to prepare for the African Cup of Nations, which kicks off Jan 19 in South Africa.
FIFA upheld its rules in previous cases when making Major League Soccer players David Beckham, Thierry Henry and Landon Donovan wait until January to make loan moves. (IANS)
- Cristiano Ronaldo wishes Irina Shayk 'greatest happiness' post split and amid new love rumors
- Naomi Watts to be honored with Costume Designers Guild's Spotlight award
- Akshay Kumar promotes 'Baby' in New Delhi
- Pregnant Kate Middleton reveals baby's 'moving all the time'
- Shakira poses with baby bump for UNICEF World Baby Shower
- Jennifer Aniston proclaims herself No. 1 'Oscar snub'
- Joanne Froggatt heading to LA amid fears 'Downton Abbey' role may end soon
- Kussh Sinha’s wedding reception today