Flintoff reveals horrific bulimia battle in early stages of career
Submitted by Rajiv Dhoot on Thu, 11/15/2012 - 08:46
London, Nov 15: England’s Ashes hero Andrew Flintoff has revealed how he battled bulimia during the early stages of his cricketing career.
The 34-year-old told how he began throwing up in cricket grounds and restaurants after he piled on the pounds.
Flintoff, who has embarked on a sporting comeback as a heavyweight boxer, revealed his eating disorder in a documentary to be screened later this month.
“I used to be a really skinny kid, I used to be tall and skinny and I didn’t drink, I didn’t do much. Then I started putting weight on. My lifestyle was great, granted, when I started living on my own. I got to about 19 and a half to 20 stone,” the Daily Mail quoted Flintoff, as saying.
“It was all a bit deeper than that because to lose the weight, I wasn’t really sure how to go about it. I started being sick, I was sick a lot. I would eat and I would be sick. I would be doing it myself. I would put my fingers down my throat and everyone within the team hierarchy thought it was great because I was losing weight,” he added.
‘I’ve thrown up in cricket grounds around the world, in restaurants, all sorts, and I lost about 15kg by doing that,” he said.
Flintoff added: “It’s not the right way to go, which I am very aware of. You start off doing it if you have a bad meal, you eat something you don’t think you should have eaten or you have drunk too much.”
“Then before you know it, even good meals you are getting rid of. It becomes a real habit. The only way really to lose weight is to train more and eat less, eat the right things,” he concluded. (ANI)
- Amanda Seyfried thinks 'life is too short' for stringent diets
- Supermodel Petra Nemcova unveiled as new face of 'Ultimo'
- Was New Bond girl's sex scene with co-star's hubby behind marriage split?
- Mila Kunis debuts svelte post-baby bod, says 'breastfeeding is great workout'
- 'Delighted' Zoe Saldana welcomes twins with hubby
- Simon Cowell slams Lily Allen's corruption blast
- Amy Schumer to host MTV Movie Awards 2015
- Arjun Kapoor, Sonakshi Sinha promotes 'Tevar' at Radio Mirchi Studios in Mumbai