Kolkata, Nov 27 : A powerful angular shot from East Bengal striker Edeh Chidi was the difference between the hosts and Salgaocar in the eighth round I-League match at the Salt Lake Stadium here Tuesday.
East Bengal cemented tehir position on top of the standings while continuing to push their unbeaten record even further with this 1-0 win.
Salgaocar's successive three matches in Kolkata ended on a poor note as the Goan team picked only one point.
East Bengal started on a confident note but had to wait for a long time to transform the advantage into a goal. The first half justifiably ended goalless as Salgaocar played the perfect foil bottling up the East Bengal offence.
Salgaocar also had a chance come their way late in the first half but it went abegging as Australian striker Sean Rooney delayed his shot from inside the box and found the body of an opposition defender.
The second half was spread out evenly as Salgaocar launched a few good counter-attacks while East Bengal looked for the elusive break.
The Kolkata giants finally got the breakthrough in the 66th minute through Chidi's deflected shot. Salgaocar pushed for the equaliser in the last 10 minutes but were unsuccessful in breaching the East Bengal defence.
This was the fourth successive win for east Bengal, who have bagged 20 points from eight matches to maintain their position at the top while Salgaocar slumped further into the bottom half of the standings with just six points to their credit. (IANS)
- Nicole Scherzinger reveals new album was like 'therapy'
- 'Avatar 2' to begin casting in LA, Wellington soon
- 'Busy' Brad Pitt owes buddy George Clooney 'wedding present'
- Amal Clooney is funny, 'supremely' self-confident in real life
- 'Bigg Boss' has made me a household name: Andy
- Officially divorced Heidi Klum gushes about new beau
- Archie Panjabi to quit 'The Good Wife' for new 20th Century Fox TV pilot
- Kourtney Kardashian expecting 'baby girl'