London, Nov 3 : Proteas all-rounder Jacques Kallis probably lives under the shadow of West Indies legend Garry Sobers, according to some famous figures from the cricketing world.
Richie Benaud, Mike Procter and Tony Cozier, who have had the privilege of watching Sobers - Benaud as an opposing captain, Procter as a county opponent and Rest of the World teammate, and Cozier as a veteran broadcaster, are unanimous about placing Sobers ahead of Kallis.
“For me, Sobers remains the finest batsman I''ve seen; effortlessly dominant in all conditions against all bowling. Of course, their numbers are virtually the same and Kallis is the most complete cricketer of his generation,” the Sydney Morning Herald quoted Cozier, as saying
“But Sobers had that certain X-factor, the charisma that made players such as Imran Khan, Viv Richards, Ian Botham, Kapil Dev, Brian Lara and Shane Warne stand out from the rest. It''s not a trait that Kallis, for all the statistical evidence, possesses,” he added.
However, for recently retired Indian cricketer, Rahul Dravid, Kallis''s record defies comprehension, the paper said.
“I haven''t seen Garry Sobers play other than a few grainy pictures on some videos, but if he is better than Kallis, he must have been one hell of a cricketer,” he said.
''''For my generation, Kallis has been incredible; the number of runs he''s made, wickets he''s taken and catches he''s held is quite phenomenal. He has managed to stay so fit, and maintain that level of consistency and performance,” he added. (ANI)
- Cristiano Ronaldo wishes Irina Shayk 'greatest happiness' post split and amid new love rumors
- Naomi Watts to be honored with Costume Designers Guild's Spotlight award
- Akshay Kumar promotes 'Baby' in New Delhi
- Pregnant Kate Middleton reveals baby's 'moving all the time'
- Shakira poses with baby bump for UNICEF World Baby Shower
- Jennifer Aniston proclaims herself No. 1 'Oscar snub'
- Joanne Froggatt heading to LA amid fears 'Downton Abbey' role may end soon
- Kussh Sinha’s wedding reception today