Legendary Botham says world of cricket will miss likes of ‘great’ Ponting
Submitted by Keval Sharma on Fri, 11/30/2012 - 09:14
London, Nov 30 : Former England batsman Ian Botham has said the world of cricket would miss a great cricketer in Ricky Ponting after the Tasmanian great announced retirement after the Perth Test against South Africa.
"Ricky Ponting is a magnificent cricketer. Hard, tough, uncompromising on the field and a top bloke off it. And from a difficult start as a kid in the game, he has gone on to be one of the most respected figures in it and that will stay with him forever," Botham wrote in his column for the Daily Mirror.
"Now that he has decided to call it a day, the game has simply lost the entertainment provided by another legend. He will be a little disappointed that he couldn't keep going to get one more tilt at the Ashes under his belt, but he has been around long enough to know when the time is right," added.
"I think his decision is -absolutely spot on because he's left the public wanting more, and you could tell by the emotion from his skipper Michael Clarke that the Aussie dressing room wanted more too," he further wrote.
Botham added: "The rest of his life will stretch out in front of him now and I'm sure, along with time spent with the family, the golf courses of the world will get a bit of a hammering." (ANI)
- Cristiano Ronaldo wishes Irina Shayk 'greatest happiness' post split and amid new love rumors
- Naomi Watts to be honored with Costume Designers Guild's Spotlight award
- Akshay Kumar promotes 'Baby' in New Delhi
- Pregnant Kate Middleton reveals baby's 'moving all the time'
- Shakira poses with baby bump for UNICEF World Baby Shower
- Jennifer Aniston proclaims herself No. 1 'Oscar snub'
- Joanne Froggatt heading to LA amid fears 'Downton Abbey' role may end soon
- Kussh Sinha’s wedding reception today