Lillee rues lack of ‘Steyn-like enforcer’ in Oz pace battery
Submitted by Rajiv Dhoot on Mon, 12/03/2012 - 08:31
Sydney, Dec 3 : Fast bowling legend Dennis Lillee has bewailed the lack of a spearhead bowler like South Africa's Dale Steyn to stop Proteas' prowling batsmen in the Perth Test, and added he would have been furious if he had been rested from a Test as Peter Siddle was from this one.
The closest thing Australia have had to a spearhead at the WACA Ground is Mitchell Johnson, who is playing his first Test in 13 months and muscled his fourth wicket as the Proteas'' lead stretched beyond 600.
Siddle was rested because Cricket Australia (CA) feared he would break down during the Test after bowling 142 overs in the past month.
Siddle is expected to be available for the first Test against Sri Lanka in Hobart but that is little consolation after the disdainful treatment Australia''s second-string attack received from the best team in the world.
Lillee refused to be drawn into the wisdom of resting Siddle, the leader of the attack, with the No. 1 ranking on the line, but said that without him and the injured Pattinson, Michael Clarke didn''t have an enforcer to turn to as first Hashim Amla and then AB de Villiers piled on the runs at will.
"Great bowling attacks, let''s look at [Dale] Steyn, there''s a go-to man and that''s the man who can break it open," the Sydney Morning Herald quoted Lillee, as saying.
"When it gets a bit tight and when you can''t get a breakthrough, you go to that guy and he often comes through. I guess this [Australian] attack at the moment you probably can''t say that there''s a go-to man," he added.
"They''re all around that 135-140 [km/h] mark and there''s not a guy like Steyn who can [go] up a gear and down a gear," he said. (ANI)
- Will Smith's wife Jada Pinkett reckons trusting kids is best parenting
- Matt Damon in talks to star in 'The Great Wall'
- Clooney to wed in custom Giorgio Armani tux
- KBC gets its first 7 crore winner in two brothers
- Liv Tyler doesn't want to know baby's sex?
- Kendall Jenner thinks sis KimK's naked GQ cover was ' really embarrassing'
- How Kaley Cuoco `joked way out` of nude snap leak embarrassment
- Angelina Jolie to helm Richard Leakey biopic 'Africa'