London, Nov 27 : The London Olympic Games opening ceremony has won a special award in the annual London Evening Standard theatre awards.
The opening ceremony earned Oscar-winning film director Danny Boyle and his team the Beyond Theatre Award, presented by British cycling gold medallist Victoria Pendleton, at an awards evening held in the Savoy Hotel here Monday, reports Xinhua.
The opening ceremony was watched by an estimated 900 million people across the world July 27, and featured Queen Elizabeth II and James Bond parachuting into the Olympic Stadium, performances from comedian Rowan Atkinson as Mr Bean, music from Paul McCartney, and a recreation of highlights of British history, including the industrial revolution and the National Health Service.
Other awards saw Oscar-winning actress Dame Judi Dench honoured for her contribution to world theatre with the presentation of the Moscow Art Theatre Golden Seagull Award. (IANS)
- FIFA warns Brazil of increasing crime rate, lack of infrastructure ahead of 2014 WC
- Tevez barred from driving for over speeding
- Ferguson eyeing Italian defender Ogbonna as long-term replacement for Ferdinand
- Hussain says ‘brilliant’ Panesar deserves more England opportunities
- Japanese football reporter travels 6000 miles to Scotland only to find match ‘postponed’