Gurgaon, Oct 5 : Golfer Viraj Madappa won the Toyota IGU Northern India Juniors with a total score of four-over 292 (74-72-74-72) defeating the second placed Aman Raj by a considerable margin of three strokes.
Arjun Singh finished third on the leader board with a four-day score of 299 (75-76-72-76) at the par-72 championship course of Golden Greens Golf Resort here.
Final day of the Toyota IGU Haryana Juniors saw a limited starting field of 60 juniors vying for the title and IGU ranking points as top 30 golfers in each of the Under-18 and Under-15 age categories survived the cut on the third day.
Madappa (Under-18), who was sitting atop the leader board in Category A since day one, yet again delivered a consistent performance where he scored three birdies, all on the front-nine, while wasting the under par score on 14th hole where he scored a triple bogey.
"I am delighted with this win, although I wasted my lead with some miserable shots on 14th hole. But in the end, the result fell in my favour. I am looking forward to carry this form to the Toyota IGU Faldo series qualifier in Chandigarh next week," said Madappa.
In Category B (Under-15), Piyush Sangwan came from behind to emerge victorious with a total score of 300 (73-74-78-75).
Overnight leader Prakhar Asawa squandered his lead to Sangwan with a miserable show as he carded a total score of 305 (73-74-74-84) with 12 over par-84 while Piyush Sangwan scored 3 over par 75. (IANS)
- Brad Pitt feels marriage is 'more than just a title'
- Kelly Brook says David Mackintosh is needy
- Michael Strahan to do a cameo in 'Magic Mike' sequel
- Pregnant Duchess Kate set to resume royal duties post morning sickness recovery
- Taylor Swift, Metallica to perform at 2015 Rock in Rio festival
- Oscar Isaac wishes George Lucas hadn't tweaked the original 'Star Wars'
- Don't regret having not played Gandhi: Naseeruddin Shah
- Paris Hilton and pals' booze bender at pub comes with $230K price-tag!