Madrid, Nov 12 : Talismanic forward Lionel Messi surpassed soccer legend Pele''s mark of 75 in a calendar year, as he scored twice against Mallorca on Sunday to help Barcelona bounce back from a rare defeat.
The Argentina star netted twice in the 4-2 win at Mallorca that kept the Catalans three points clear in Spain''s La Liga, leaving him just nine short of Gerd Muller''s all-time record.
The 25-year-old, who became a first-time father earlier this month, was able to put a bit more enthusiasm into his new thumb-sucking celebration than when he scored late in the shock midweek Champions League loss to Scottish side Celtic.
"Leo continually breaks records. His goal tally is spectacular," CNN quoted Barcelona manager Tito Vilanova, as saying. (ANI)
- Raveena Tandon unveils latest issue of Savvy magazine in Mumbai
- Demi Lovato enjoys role model status
- Britney Spears admits to getting new beau
- Cara Delevingne earns 6,500 pounds per day!
- Rachel Bilson welcomes baby girl with beau Hayden Christensen
- Stephen Fry quits Twitter over safety concerns
- Singer sues Beyonce for $3m for ripping off song
- Robert Downey Jr. welcomes baby girl with wife Susan