Madrid, Nov 12 : Talismanic forward Lionel Messi surpassed soccer legend Pele''s mark of 75 in a calendar year, as he scored twice against Mallorca on Sunday to help Barcelona bounce back from a rare defeat.
The Argentina star netted twice in the 4-2 win at Mallorca that kept the Catalans three points clear in Spain''s La Liga, leaving him just nine short of Gerd Muller''s all-time record.
The 25-year-old, who became a first-time father earlier this month, was able to put a bit more enthusiasm into his new thumb-sucking celebration than when he scored late in the shock midweek Champions League loss to Scottish side Celtic.
"Leo continually breaks records. His goal tally is spectacular," CNN quoted Barcelona manager Tito Vilanova, as saying. (ANI)
- 'Hobbit' star Dean O'Gorman to portray Kirk Douglas in 'Trumbo'
- Nicole Scherzinger earned 100K pounds to perform at Russian tycoon's party
- Cheryl Cole to set up own record label to rival Simon Cowell's Syco
- Demi Lovato suffers 'minor' arm injury just before Texas concert
- Motherhood is wonderful, says Kerry Washington
- Hackers leak over 50 topless pics of Amber Heard online
- Hilary Duff is open for Lizzie McGuire reunion
- Will Smith's wife Jada Pinkett reckons trusting kids is best parenting