Madrid, Nov 12 : Talismanic forward Lionel Messi surpassed soccer legend Pele''s mark of 75 in a calendar year, as he scored twice against Mallorca on Sunday to help Barcelona bounce back from a rare defeat.
The Argentina star netted twice in the 4-2 win at Mallorca that kept the Catalans three points clear in Spain''s La Liga, leaving him just nine short of Gerd Muller''s all-time record.
The 25-year-old, who became a first-time father earlier this month, was able to put a bit more enthusiasm into his new thumb-sucking celebration than when he scored late in the shock midweek Champions League loss to Scottish side Celtic.
"Leo continually breaks records. His goal tally is spectacular," CNN quoted Barcelona manager Tito Vilanova, as saying. (ANI)
- Nicole Scherzinger reveals new album was like 'therapy'
- 'Avatar 2' to begin casting in LA, Wellington soon
- 'Busy' Brad Pitt owes buddy George Clooney 'wedding present'
- Amal Clooney is funny, 'supremely' self-confident in real life
- 'Bigg Boss' has made me a household name: Andy
- Officially divorced Heidi Klum gushes about new beau
- Archie Panjabi to quit 'The Good Wife' for new 20th Century Fox TV pilot
- Kourtney Kardashian expecting 'baby girl'