Sydney, Nov. 25 : Former New Zealand captain Martin Crowe had lend some words of wisdom for the embattled Black Caps’ top order, saying that ‘batting six hours in a test is better than sex’.
Crowe delivered batting pointers to Brendon McCullum, Martin Guptill, Kane Williamson, Ross Taylor, Daniel Flynn and James Franklin, ahead of the second test against Sri Lanka, which starts in Colombo today.
“Overall, lads, we just want a bit of individual spirit and some internal fortitude over a reasonable period at the crease. Deep down I do hope you are thinking of churning out a ton. I know there is no greater feeling as a batsman. To bat six hours in a test is better than sex,” Stuff. co. nz quoted Crowe as writing in an open letter to New Zealand''s batting order published on Cricinfo.
“Look in the mirror, remind yourselves of the affirmations you will need to control the concentration required for each ball, stick your chin up, and turn to face the music with fierce focus,” he added.
According to the report, in the 1400-word piece, Crowe called on Williamson to work on his footwork, applauded Flynn''s determination at the wicket, and asked Franklin why he wasn''t playing his naturally attacking game.
"Take some rescue remedy or smell some salts, but for heaven''s sake, fire yourself up for the contest," he wrote.
Crowe also wrote that the top order have looked flat in Sri Lanka, and implored them to "look within".
"Mostly I just want you to decide on who and what you are and what you know, what you bring to international cricket, what you want to give for your country. From the outside, you look dispirited, disjointed and disoriented. Wrongly, you are looking outside for the answers,” he wrote.
"Look within, look in the mirror and ask yourself to stand up and be the men you are. Look within, be honest, strip away the rubbish and focus on what''s important and what''s really and essentially you,” he added. (ANI)
- Amanda Seyfried thinks 'life is too short' for stringent diets
- Supermodel Petra Nemcova unveiled as new face of 'Ultimo'
- Was New Bond girl's sex scene with co-star's hubby behind marriage split?
- Mila Kunis debuts svelte post-baby bod, says 'breastfeeding is great workout'
- 'Delighted' Zoe Saldana welcomes twins with hubby
- Simon Cowell slams Lily Allen's corruption blast
- Amy Schumer to host MTV Movie Awards 2015
- Arjun Kapoor, Sonakshi Sinha promotes 'Tevar' at Radio Mirchi Studios in Mumbai