Millionaire ex-Chelsea star Michael Ballack gives ‘no cash’ plea to dodge ‘speeding’ fine
Submitted by Rajiv Dhoot on Thu, 11/01/2012 - 08:33
London, Nov. 1 : Millionaire former Chelsea star Michael Ballack reportedly tried to dodge a `speeding' fine by claiming he was "out of work" and had "no money coming in".
Ballack, 36, pocketed 120,000 pounds per week during his four years at Chelsea until 2010, and is said to be worth 14 million pounds.
However, his lawyers told a court that Ballack, who retired in the summer, should pay a tenth of an 8,000 pound fine for driving at 131mph on the A5 motorway in Trujillo, western Spain, 56mph over the speed limit, The Sun reports.
According to the report, an initial hearing heard the German midfielder faced an 8,000 pound fine and a two-year driving ban. But a London lawyer asked the court in nearby Caceres for a one-year ban and an 800 pound fine, because the 36-year-old is not currently earning any money.
"Just because he is a famous footballer doesn't mean he has any money coming in," the lawyer had said.
Ballack did not attend the hearing because the alleged crime carries no prison sentence. Sentencing is due next week, the report said. (ANI)
- Raveena Tandon unveils latest issue of Savvy magazine in Mumbai
- Demi Lovato enjoys role model status
- Britney Spears admits to getting new beau
- Cara Delevingne earns 6,500 pounds per day!
- Rachel Bilson welcomes baby girl with beau Hayden Christensen
- Stephen Fry quits Twitter over safety concerns
- Singer sues Beyonce for $3m for ripping off song
- Robert Downey Jr. welcomes baby girl with wife Susan