Millionaire ex-Chelsea star Michael Ballack gives ‘no cash’ plea to dodge ‘speeding’ fine
Submitted by Rajiv Dhoot on Thu, 11/01/2012 - 08:33
London, Nov. 1 : Millionaire former Chelsea star Michael Ballack reportedly tried to dodge a `speeding' fine by claiming he was "out of work" and had "no money coming in".
Ballack, 36, pocketed 120,000 pounds per week during his four years at Chelsea until 2010, and is said to be worth 14 million pounds.
However, his lawyers told a court that Ballack, who retired in the summer, should pay a tenth of an 8,000 pound fine for driving at 131mph on the A5 motorway in Trujillo, western Spain, 56mph over the speed limit, The Sun reports.
According to the report, an initial hearing heard the German midfielder faced an 8,000 pound fine and a two-year driving ban. But a London lawyer asked the court in nearby Caceres for a one-year ban and an 800 pound fine, because the 36-year-old is not currently earning any money.
"Just because he is a famous footballer doesn't mean he has any money coming in," the lawyer had said.
Ballack did not attend the hearing because the alleged crime carries no prison sentence. Sentencing is due next week, the report said. (ANI)
- Cristiano Ronaldo wishes Irina Shayk 'greatest happiness' post split and amid new love rumors
- Naomi Watts to be honored with Costume Designers Guild's Spotlight award
- Akshay Kumar promotes 'Baby' in New Delhi
- Pregnant Kate Middleton reveals baby's 'moving all the time'
- Shakira poses with baby bump for UNICEF World Baby Shower
- Jennifer Aniston proclaims herself No. 1 'Oscar snub'
- Joanne Froggatt heading to LA amid fears 'Downton Abbey' role may end soon
- Kussh Sinha’s wedding reception today