Lahore, Oct 12 : Former Pakistan coach Geoff Lawson believes that Misbah-ul-Haq has the `best cricket brain' in Pakistan, and is well-placed to handle the Test captaincy in the forthcoming series against South Africa in the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
Misbah was thought to be out of national reckoning when he was not picked for the Asia Cup or the tour to England, but a disastrous sequence of events have forced the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) to appoint him as captain of the Test team.
"He definitely has the best cricket brain and intellect in Pakistan cricket," the Daily Times quoted Lawson, as saying.
"He has a statesman-like demeanour which so many Pakistan captains have lacked and he handles adversity analytically not emotionally. He knows how to get the best out of players and he is a winner, note his outstanding domestic record as a leader," he added.
The former coach further said that Misbah's personal performance would not be an issue.
"He works very hard on his fitness and his cricket skills so physically he will be in good shape," Lawson said.
Earlier, former skipper Wasim Akram had slammed PCB's decision to give captaincy to Misbah.
"I was surprised when I heard that Misbah has been named the Pakistan captain. He has been out of the team since the beginning of the year and to bring him back as a captain was a bit shocking," Akram had said.
"If they have named him the captain for one series, it's okay. He is already 36 and the PCB needs to find a long-term solution to this problem. I do not know what the vision of the selectors is," he added. (ANI)
- Nicole Scherzinger reveals new album was like 'therapy'
- 'Avatar 2' to begin casting in LA, Wellington soon
- 'Busy' Brad Pitt owes buddy George Clooney 'wedding present'
- Amal Clooney is funny, 'supremely' self-confident in real life
- 'Bigg Boss' has made me a household name: Andy
- Officially divorced Heidi Klum gushes about new beau
- Archie Panjabi to quit 'The Good Wife' for new 20th Century Fox TV pilot
- Kourtney Kardashian expecting 'baby girl'