Sydney, Sep 21 : Australia vice-captain Shane Watson might be remembered as an exciting player in the shorter version of the game, but his failure to make the cut at the Test level might haunt him in future.
According to the News. com. au, Watson's all round man of the match performance against Ireland in their opening Twenty20 World Cup game was like one of those kids in juniors, who is so much better than everyone else, that there is no argument over why he takes the new ball or opens the batting.
As a quality all-rounder, only the great Keith Miller is able to join Watson''s exclusive club. They are the only two players in Australian Test history who have combined more than 2000 runs with an average over 35 and more than 50 wickets with an average under 30, the paper added.
In an era, where Australia have struggled to replace quality players, Watson''s trophy cabinet contains two Allan Border Medals, an award only won by the best of Australia''s best, the paper said.
The paper further reported, yet at 31 and as vice-captain of all three Australian teams, those medals sit incongruously with just two Test centuries and a batting average of 37.
So unlucky to be struck down by a long list of serious and soft-tissue injuries, the resilience and persistence Watson has shown to keep coming back and succeeding is a wonderful example to any generation, the paper said.
The paper further added, how would Watson be remembered? As a dominant and exciting short-form player who never really cut it at Test level?
During home series against South Africa and Sri Lanka, away tours to India and England and then an Ashes series in Australia, this country''s most talented cricketer must make a statement like he did on Wednesday night, the paper concludes. (ANI)
- Amanda Seyfried thinks 'life is too short' for stringent diets
- Supermodel Petra Nemcova unveiled as new face of 'Ultimo'
- Was New Bond girl's sex scene with co-star's hubby behind marriage split?
- Mila Kunis debuts svelte post-baby bod, says 'breastfeeding is great workout'
- 'Delighted' Zoe Saldana welcomes twins with hubby
- Simon Cowell slams Lily Allen's corruption blast
- Amy Schumer to host MTV Movie Awards 2015
- Arjun Kapoor, Sonakshi Sinha promotes 'Tevar' at Radio Mirchi Studios in Mumbai