Check todays hot topics and new pictures Today is: 25 July, 2014
Pagunsan seeks retribution at Singapore Open

Pagunsan seeks retribution at Singapore OpenSingapore, Oct 25 : Reigning Asian Tour No. 1 golfer Juvic Pagunsan has unfinished business to attend to when he returns to the $6 million Singapore Open next month.

Pagunsan lost in a Monday play-off to Gonzalo Fernandez-Castano of Spain at Sentosa Golf Club last season but his runner-up result saw him become the first Filipino to win the coveted Order of Merit crown.

"I'm definitely looking forward to the Singapore Open and will be 100 percent focused. A second place finish last year was good but I felt I was a bit unlucky to lose in the play-off," said Pagunsan.

"I have a lot of good memories because I was fighting for my Asian Tour card before the event and suddenly I'm winning the Order of Merit. It was definitely a memorable achievement that I won't forget."

The Filipino will be joined by world's top golfers including World No. 1 Rory McIlroy of Northern Ireland, Adam Scott of Australia, a three-time winner, American Phil Mickelson and 2010 Open Championship winner Louis Oosthuizen of South Africa.

After struggling earlier in the season, Pagunsan has enjoyed some late-season form and made seven consecutive cuts in Japan including finishing tied fourth at the Asia-Pacific Panasonic Open and second place at the Japan Open.

Pagunsan is wary of the challenging Serapong course but is confident of ending a five-year title drought on the Asian Tour.

"Honestly, I didn't expect to play so well here last year. I wasn't playing well in the last couple of months so there were some nerves," said the Filipino.

"The golf course is tough because the rough is thick and the course is long. It will be windy and we normally have a lot of rain. It is always tough playing in Singapore. You need to hit it straight or you will find yourself in trouble. I've enjoyed some good finishes in Japan recently and hope I can continue in Singapore," added Pagunsan.

Fan favourite John Daly from America, Korea's Y. E. Yang, the first Asian to win a Major, and 2011 British Open champion Darren Clarke of Northern Ireland have also confirmed their participation. (IANS)


From goals to guns: Brazilian footballer to join army in Ukraine

Edmar-Halowski-de-LacerdaLondon, July 25 : A Brazilian footballer has been left to regret his decision to change his citizenship in order to play international football for Ukraine after the army called him up to fight with them.  Read more »

Lil Wayne's firm to manage Cristiano Ronaldo's career

Cristiano-RonaldoWashington, July 25 : Lil Wayne's co-founded firm Young Money Entertainment have been assigned to manage footie ace Cristiano Ronaldo's career.

According to TMZ.  Read more »

Kirti Azad condemns Jadeja's penalization, says BCCI must have fixed it earlier

Kirti-AzadNew Delhi, July 25 : Former Indian cricketer Kirti Azad today condemned Indian all rounder Ravindra Jadeja's penalization over his tussle with James Anderson, but suspected Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) for fixing it.  Read more »

Saeed Ajmal says his bowling remains enigma for many batsmen

Saeed Ajmal says his bowling remains enigma for many batsmenLahore: Pakistan`s top spin bowler Saeed Ajmal says his bowling still remains a mystery for many batsmen since they can`t read his `doosra`.  Read more »

Hamilton denies employing 'mind games' against Rosberg in race for F1 title

Lewis-HamiltonLondon, July 18 : Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton has said that he is not trying to employ mind games against his teammate Nico Rosberg as both battle for the Formula One championship.  Read more »

Red Bull F1 reserve Felix da Costa to race in Formula E

Antonio-Felix-da-CostaLeicestershire, UK: Amlin Aguri have announced that Red Bull Racing Formula 1 reserve driver, Antonio Felix da Costa, will join the team for the inaugural all-electric FIA Formula E Championship beginning in September.  Read more »