Madrid, Nov 28 - Real Madrid qualified for the last 16 of the Spanish Copa del Rey knockout football competition thanks to a 3-0 win at home against third tier side Alcoyano.
Real Madrid's 4-1 win from the first leg always meant it would have taken a disaster for them not to have qualified but a side filled with substitutes struggled against a side in theory very inferior side and coach Jose Mourinho had to listen to boos and whistles from the crowd during the game, which was decided by a goal from Angel de Maria in the 72nd minute, reports Xinhua.
The visitors were reduced to 10 men when central defender Javier Selvas was harshly sent off for protesting and Jose Calderon put makeup on the final result for Madrid with goals in the 89th and 92nd minute.
Malaga squeezed into the next round despite a 1-0 home defeat to Cacereno. A first half goal from Chapi gave the side from Caceres a magnificent win but despite the 4-4 aggregate score the lower league side went out on the away goals rule.
The night saw several La Liga side's Rayo Vallecano and Real Sociedad fall to lower league opposition.
Rayo drew 0-0 against Las Palmas after falling 0-1 in the first leg while goals from Antoine Griezman and Imanol Agirretxe were not enough to save Real Sociedad from a 2-4 aggregate defeat against Cordoba after the sides drew
2-2 in the Anoeta Stadium.
Osasuna overcame a 0-1 first leg deficit with a 2-0 home win against Sporting Gijon. Joseba Llorente and Ruben Gonzalez scored the goals that take the side from Pamplona into the next round.
Betis also overcame a 0-1 first leg deficit in the only all La Liga tie of the night. Ivan Amaya, Ruben Castro and an own goal saw them take a 3-1 aggregate win against Valladolid.
The remaining games will be played Wednesday and Thursday. (IANS)
- Cristiano Ronaldo wishes Irina Shayk 'greatest happiness' post split and amid new love rumors
- Naomi Watts to be honored with Costume Designers Guild's Spotlight award
- Akshay Kumar promotes 'Baby' in New Delhi
- Pregnant Kate Middleton reveals baby's 'moving all the time'
- Shakira poses with baby bump for UNICEF World Baby Shower
- Jennifer Aniston proclaims herself No. 1 'Oscar snub'
- Joanne Froggatt heading to LA amid fears 'Downton Abbey' role may end soon
- Kussh Sinha’s wedding reception today