Samuels says 2008 match-fixing ban inspired renaissance as top Windies player
Submitted by Rajiv Dhoot on Tue, 11/20/2012 - 14:59
Sydney, Nov 20 : Marlon Samuels, who was named in the Twenty20 World XI after leading the West Indies to victory in October, where he was also player of the match in the final against host Sri Lanka, has said the ban he received in 2008 had inspired him become a top player for West Indies.
While Samuels maintains the two-year ban for allegedly passing information to a bookmaker was unjust, he believes the time away helped him.
"I could never lie down and die; I have a lot to prove, not just to people out there, but to my family as well. I''ve never seen myself as a failure and I never see anything that can stop me doing what I want," News. com. au quoted Samuels, as saying.
"I set my goals, and obstacles have come in my way to stop me from achieving my goals only for a while. But I went back to the drawing board and set my goals and standards even higher because I was under pressure and I''m behind where I wanted to be," he added.
Samuels smashed 78 in the World Twenty20 final, and then took 1-15 in his four overs as he and the Windies achieved redemption.
"For me to come back and get so much love, there is no way I can come back and not step up my game to let people enjoy and feel the real talent I have," Samuels said.
"So I started working three or four times as hard as I used to work, just to let people enjoy me and show and thank people who have supported and encouraged me," he added.
"I get a lot of love coming back - that''s one of the main reasons I can come back and come back proud with my head high because there is a lot of love," he said. (ANI)
- Nicole Scherzinger reveals new album was like 'therapy'
- 'Avatar 2' to begin casting in LA, Wellington soon
- 'Busy' Brad Pitt owes buddy George Clooney 'wedding present'
- Amal Clooney is funny, 'supremely' self-confident in real life
- 'Bigg Boss' has made me a household name: Andy
- Officially divorced Heidi Klum gushes about new beau
- Archie Panjabi to quit 'The Good Wife' for new 20th Century Fox TV pilot
- Kourtney Kardashian expecting 'baby girl'