Sydney, Dec 12 : Veteran Kumar Sangakkara believes Australia's pace advantage in the Hobart Test can be annulled if the skillful Sri Lankan bowlers can make better use of the projected helpful conditions.
No members of Sri Lanka''s seam bowling attack, to be led by Nuwan Kulasekara, will come close to matching the pace generated by the likes Australians Peter Siddle, Mitchell Starc and Mitchell Johnson.
Kulasekara is expected to be supported by Shaminda Eranga and left-arm fast bowler Chanaka Welegedara. Sangakkara has not played a Test at Bellerive Oval for five years but, having watched Australia''s matches since then, is in a good position to anticipate conditions for the series opener starting on Friday.
"There''s been a bit of nibble about but it''s been sporting to both sides. Wickets like this make fast bowlers really enthusiastic to play, and it elevates guys who don''t have that much pace . really good," the Sydney Morning Herald quoted Sangakkara, as saying.
"If it stays the same I think our fast bowlers will have a really good chance against the Aussie batsmen," he added.
"I think there''s a place up for grabs [in the pace attack]. We''ve got Angelo Mathews batting at six and doing the all-rounder''s job for us," he said.
Sangakkara added: "I think ''Kula'' [Kulasekara] is our No. 1 fast bowler. He moves the ball and on a wicket like this a little bit of swing and seam will suit him ideally."
"Eranga has bowled really well. We''ve got Dhammika Prasad and Welegedara, all these guys are good with the moving ball. We don''t have the out-and-out pace that the Aussies might have but we have the skill," he said. (ANI)
- 'Hobbit' star Dean O'Gorman to portray Kirk Douglas in 'Trumbo'
- Nicole Scherzinger earned 100K pounds to perform at Russian tycoon's party
- Cheryl Cole to set up own record label to rival Simon Cowell's Syco
- Demi Lovato suffers 'minor' arm injury just before Texas concert
- Motherhood is wonderful, says Kerry Washington
- Hackers leak over 50 topless pics of Amber Heard online
- Hilary Duff is open for Lizzie McGuire reunion
- Will Smith's wife Jada Pinkett reckons trusting kids is best parenting