Madrid, Oct 23 : Sevilla suffered a setback Tuesday when it was confirmed that the club will be without influential midfielder Petr Trochovski for the rest of the season.
Trochovski, who has scored for Sevilla against both Real Madrid and FC Barcelona this campaign, has undergone an operation on his tibia in the United States, reports Xinhua.
The Sevilla website confirmed that the recovery will need eight months and that for the first two of those months, the midfielder, who is in his second season at the club, will need to walk with the aid of crutches.
Sevilla's players sent a get well soon message to the German international ahead of Monday night's 3-2 win at home to Mallorca.
The Sevilla team took to the pitch in their Sanchez Pizjuan Stadium wearing shirts bearing the message 'Animo Trochovski' - literally, 'cheer-up'. Alvaro Negredo scored twice in the game to lift Sevilla to fifth place in the Primera Liga.
Meanwhile Athletic Club Bilbao have confirmed their young midfielder, Inigo Ruiz de Gallareta will also be out of the rest of the season.
The 18-year-old, who had broken into the first team squad, snapped his cruciate ligament playing for the reserve team at the weekend and will also need an operation with a recovery time that will sideline him for at least six months. (IANS)
- Nicole Scherzinger reveals new album was like 'therapy'
- 'Avatar 2' to begin casting in LA, Wellington soon
- 'Busy' Brad Pitt owes buddy George Clooney 'wedding present'
- Amal Clooney is funny, 'supremely' self-confident in real life
- 'Bigg Boss' has made me a household name: Andy
- Officially divorced Heidi Klum gushes about new beau
- Archie Panjabi to quit 'The Good Wife' for new 20th Century Fox TV pilot
- Kourtney Kardashian expecting 'baby girl'