Madrid, Oct 23 : Sevilla suffered a setback Tuesday when it was confirmed that the club will be without influential midfielder Petr Trochovski for the rest of the season.
Trochovski, who has scored for Sevilla against both Real Madrid and FC Barcelona this campaign, has undergone an operation on his tibia in the United States, reports Xinhua.
The Sevilla website confirmed that the recovery will need eight months and that for the first two of those months, the midfielder, who is in his second season at the club, will need to walk with the aid of crutches.
Sevilla's players sent a get well soon message to the German international ahead of Monday night's 3-2 win at home to Mallorca.
The Sevilla team took to the pitch in their Sanchez Pizjuan Stadium wearing shirts bearing the message 'Animo Trochovski' - literally, 'cheer-up'. Alvaro Negredo scored twice in the game to lift Sevilla to fifth place in the Primera Liga.
Meanwhile Athletic Club Bilbao have confirmed their young midfielder, Inigo Ruiz de Gallareta will also be out of the rest of the season.
The 18-year-old, who had broken into the first team squad, snapped his cruciate ligament playing for the reserve team at the weekend and will also need an operation with a recovery time that will sideline him for at least six months. (IANS)
- Robbie Williams' wife to deliver second baby in LA despite singer's wish
- Zac Efron, Robert De Niro may star in 'Dirty Grandpa'
- Rita Ora turns designer for Adidas
- Music launch of 'Khoobsurat' held in Mumbai
- Nicole Kidman says her 'Paddington' role is too disturbing for daughters
- Jennifer Aniston goes 'topless' for photo shoot just days after ex-hubby Brad Pitt's wedding
- Joan Rivers joked would have been 'fabulous' to die during plastic surgery
- Censor Board should be consistent: Deepika Padukone