Smriti holds slender lead over Nalini
Submitted by Rajiv Dhoot on Thu, 09/20/2012 - 12:10
Gurgaon, Sep 20 - Smriti Mehra, taking a one-shot lead, will try to fend off Nalini Singh Siwach in the third and final round of the fifth leg of the Hero-WGAI Women's Pro Golf Tour Friday.
Smriti, who shot 73 in first round, shot a superb four-under 68 to move to three-under 141 while Nalini after a first round 70 carded an even par 72 in second and is placed second at 142 here at the DLF Golf and Country Club Thursday.
Vani Kapoor is a distant third with rounds of 76 and 73 and is tied with Saaniya Sharma (74-75) at 149.
Neha Tripathi (74-79) in fifth place and Meghna Bal (78-79) complete the top six.
Smriti birdied the second but gave that shot away on the fifth. But a birdie on the very next hole saw her go through the front nine in one-under.
Birdies on the tenth and 12th saw her move to three-under even as Nalini was one-over at that stage. Both were playing in the same lead group.
Smriti dropped a bogey on 13th while Nalini bogeyed the 15th. Then both had a great birdie-birdie finish with birdies on 17th and 18th.
Smriti's 68 as compared to Nalini's 72 helped her wipe out the overnight three-shot deficit and move one ahead.
Vani Kapoor had bogeys on the fourth and 18th and her only birdie of the day came on par-4 17th.
Saaniya looked in great form with two birdies and no bogeys on front nine. She continued that great work with a third birdie on 12th at which stage she was three-under.
But a double bogey on par-4 13th was the start of her troubles. She then lapsed into a series of errors with bogeys on four of the last five holes to end up at 75.
Smriti will play with Nalini and Vani Kapoor Friday in the final round. Smriti is looking for her third title of the season while Nalini is in search of her first. Vani has won once.
- Amanda Seyfried thinks 'life is too short' for stringent diets
- Supermodel Petra Nemcova unveiled as new face of 'Ultimo'
- Was New Bond girl's sex scene with co-star's hubby behind marriage split?
- Mila Kunis debuts svelte post-baby bod, says 'breastfeeding is great workout'
- 'Delighted' Zoe Saldana welcomes twins with hubby
- Simon Cowell slams Lily Allen's corruption blast
- Amy Schumer to host MTV Movie Awards 2015
- Arjun Kapoor, Sonakshi Sinha promotes 'Tevar' at Radio Mirchi Studios in Mumbai