Thorpe helping England’s budding Test stars overcome spin demons
Submitted by Rajiv Dhoot on Sat, 12/01/2012 - 10:21
London, Dec 01 : Graham Thorpe, the England and Wales Cricket Board's head batting coach and one of the best players of spin bowling of his era, is helping the next generation of England Test bowlers master the art.
Thorpe is in India working with the England Lions squad and is being helped by Mark Ramprakash in his first serious coaching role since retirement last summer.
The two former England middle-order colleagues have been based in Mumbai for the past two weeks, exposing the Lions batsmen to Asian conditions as the England management look to improve the techniques of the next wave of Test players.
"Learning to bat against spin is a job that is never done. We are always playing catch-up, in a nutshell," the Telegraph quoted Thorpe, as saying.
"I can only speak for some of the work we do [with the Lions] but we can never think we have got it. We should not be that arrogant," he added.
"Playing spin is about having tempo. I have always said it is being clear about where your potential boundary options are," he said.
Thorpe averaged 47 in Asia and was renowned for patience against spin, once scoring only two fours in an innings of 118 from 301 balls in Lahore in 2000.
"To work the guys here I have had net sessions where they can't hit the ball over the top. It forces them to do the ticking over. The reason is because when guys get under pressure they go to one shot option which is sweep, slog sweep or hitting over the top," Thorpe said.
"What I work hard on is confidence, so if there are men around the bat they can work on efficiency of their feet and not just to rely on go to shots. Only way you can do that is restrictions in net sessions. They respond to it and understand why," he added. (ANI)
- Shah Rukh Khan`s HNY now available online
- Ringo Starr, Paul Mc Cartney lead heartfelt tributes to singer Joe Cocker
- Sofia Vergara will do anything to stay young
- Stacy Keibler credits strict workout routine and healthy diet for losing baby weight
- Is Leona Lewis' beau planning to pop the question on Christmas?
- Paul McCartney to write a song on Eric Garner protest
- Kourtney K names new newborn son Reign Aston Disick
- Elton John finally marries long-time partner David Furnish