‘Unfit’ Watson unlikely to play in Adelaide Test despite call up
Submitted by Rajiv Dhoot on Sat, 11/17/2012 - 08:57
Sydney, Nov 17 : Australia's chairman of selectors John Inverarity has said it seems unlikely that all rounder Shane Watson would be fit enough to bowl before the second Test match against South Africa in Adelaide, starting on November 22.
Two days after high performance manager Pat Howard ruled out the Australian vice-captain unless he could bowl, Inverarity has ruled him back in again.
Watson has been named in a predictable 13-man squad, with his replacement in Brisbane, Rob Quiney, retaining his place for now at least.
"There's the issue of his bowling. It is unlikely he'll be able to get his bowling workloads up in time to be able to bowl in the Test. That's something the national selection panel will have to consider very carefully next Tuesday, Wednesday," News. com. au quoted Inverarity, as saying.
"There's only a small margin where he is fit to perform as a batsman but not able to bowl," he added.
"We'll just have to wait and see. We're hoping he'll be beyond that, he'll be able to bowl, but he may not be able to and if he's not able to there's a fair chance he won't be able to be fit to perform in terms of running between the wickets, chasing in the field, diving in the field," he said.
Inverarity added: "He might surprise us by being able to bowl again on Monday and again on Wednesday and it could be that he is able to bowl a few overs in the Test if selected." (ANI)
- Raveena Tandon unveils latest issue of Savvy magazine in Mumbai
- Demi Lovato enjoys role model status
- Britney Spears admits to getting new beau
- Cara Delevingne earns 6,500 pounds per day!
- Rachel Bilson welcomes baby girl with beau Hayden Christensen
- Stephen Fry quits Twitter over safety concerns
- Singer sues Beyonce for $3m for ripping off song
- Robert Downey Jr. welcomes baby girl with wife Susan