Moscow, Oct 29 - Serena Williams completed a straight-sets victory over Russia? s Maria Sharapova in the WTA Championships final in Istanbul Sunday to win the tournament for the third time.
The victory ends a season in which Williams, 31, has won Wimbledon, the U. S. Open and two gold medals at the Olympics.
Williams rained in eleven aces and 40 winners as she powered Sharapova off the court in a 6-4, 6-3 win, in which she did not face a single break point.
Williams did not lose a single set during the tournament.
The American improved her head-to-head record against Sharapova to 10-2, with one of those defeats coming in the 2004 WTA Championships final.
Sharapova finishes the season as world No. 2 behind Victoria Azarenka after winning three WTA titles including her first French Open, while Williams is No. 3. (IANS)
- Cristiano Ronaldo wishes Irina Shayk 'greatest happiness' post split and amid new love rumors
- Naomi Watts to be honored with Costume Designers Guild's Spotlight award
- Akshay Kumar promotes 'Baby' in New Delhi
- Pregnant Kate Middleton reveals baby's 'moving all the time'
- Shakira poses with baby bump for UNICEF World Baby Shower
- Jennifer Aniston proclaims herself No. 1 'Oscar snub'
- Joanne Froggatt heading to LA amid fears 'Downton Abbey' role may end soon
- Kussh Sinha’s wedding reception today