Moscow, Oct 29 - Serena Williams completed a straight-sets victory over Russia? s Maria Sharapova in the WTA Championships final in Istanbul Sunday to win the tournament for the third time.
The victory ends a season in which Williams, 31, has won Wimbledon, the U. S. Open and two gold medals at the Olympics.
Williams rained in eleven aces and 40 winners as she powered Sharapova off the court in a 6-4, 6-3 win, in which she did not face a single break point.
Williams did not lose a single set during the tournament.
The American improved her head-to-head record against Sharapova to 10-2, with one of those defeats coming in the 2004 WTA Championships final.
Sharapova finishes the season as world No. 2 behind Victoria Azarenka after winning three WTA titles including her first French Open, while Williams is No. 3. (IANS)
- Shah Rukh Khan`s HNY now available online
- Ringo Starr, Paul Mc Cartney lead heartfelt tributes to singer Joe Cocker
- Sofia Vergara will do anything to stay young
- Stacy Keibler credits strict workout routine and healthy diet for losing baby weight
- Is Leona Lewis' beau planning to pop the question on Christmas?
- Paul McCartney to write a song on Eric Garner protest
- Kourtney K names new newborn son Reign Aston Disick
- Elton John finally marries long-time partner David Furnish