Moscow, Oct 29 - Serena Williams completed a straight-sets victory over Russia? s Maria Sharapova in the WTA Championships final in Istanbul Sunday to win the tournament for the third time.
The victory ends a season in which Williams, 31, has won Wimbledon, the U. S. Open and two gold medals at the Olympics.
Williams rained in eleven aces and 40 winners as she powered Sharapova off the court in a 6-4, 6-3 win, in which she did not face a single break point.
Williams did not lose a single set during the tournament.
The American improved her head-to-head record against Sharapova to 10-2, with one of those defeats coming in the 2004 WTA Championships final.
Sharapova finishes the season as world No. 2 behind Victoria Azarenka after winning three WTA titles including her first French Open, while Williams is No. 3. (IANS)
- Robbie Williams' wife to deliver second baby in LA despite singer's wish
- Zac Efron, Robert De Niro may star in 'Dirty Grandpa'
- Rita Ora turns designer for Adidas
- Music launch of 'Khoobsurat' held in Mumbai
- Nicole Kidman says her 'Paddington' role is too disturbing for daughters
- Jennifer Aniston goes 'topless' for photo shoot just days after ex-hubby Brad Pitt's wedding
- Joan Rivers joked would have been 'fabulous' to die during plastic surgery
- Censor Board should be consistent: Deepika Padukone