World Twenty20: Edwards leads England women's team to final
Submitted by Rajiv Dhoot on Thu, 10/04/2012 - 15:30
Colombo, Oct 4 : The England women's team continued its winning streak with a decisive seven wicket victory over two-time runners up New Zealand to reach its second World Twenty20 cricket final in three years here Thursday.
England captain Charlotte Edwards won the toss and sent New Zealand in to bat, restricting the White Ferns to 93 for eight.
Charlotte struck a 37-ball 33, which included five fours, as England achieved the target with 16 balls to spare.
On a slow wicket, England's spin bowlers dominated from the beginning, and New Zealand was dealt an early blow when captain Suzie Bates was run out without scoring in the first over.
Fellow opener and left-hander Amy Satterthwaite briefly held the innings together with a patient 30 off 39 balls, including three fours, but was not able to develop any match-changing partnerships.
The first four of the innings, off an edge, didn't come until the fifth over as Katherine Brunt tied New Zealand down at one end with pace, while Danielle Hazell and Danielle Wyatt gave nothing away with their off-spin.
Frances McKay and Sara McGlashan fell quickly, before Sophie Devine was the first of two victims for Danielle Wyatt (11).
Nicola Browne and wicketkeeper Katey Martin added valuable runs, but the loss of three wickets in the final two overs left New Zealand defending a meagre total of 93. Both Danielle Wyatt and Holly Colvin finished with figures of
Charlotte led the way with a 37-ball 33 which included five fours. Sarah Taylor and Lydia Greenway applied the finishing touches with a 40-run partnership - the highest of the match. Greenway took England to within one run of victory before falling to the reverse-sweep, but with wickets in hand, England reached its target with 16 balls to spare.
Sian Ruck was the most successful bowler for the New Zealand side, taking 22 for 2 in her four overs.(IANS)
- 'Hobbit' star Dean O'Gorman to portray Kirk Douglas in 'Trumbo'
- Nicole Scherzinger earned 100K pounds to perform at Russian tycoon's party
- Cheryl Cole to set up own record label to rival Simon Cowell's Syco
- Demi Lovato suffers 'minor' arm injury just before Texas concert
- Motherhood is wonderful, says Kerry Washington
- Hackers leak over 50 topless pics of Amber Heard online
- Hilary Duff is open for Lizzie McGuire reunion
- Will Smith's wife Jada Pinkett reckons trusting kids is best parenting