Moscow, Oct 22 - Serena Williams is "the favourite" to win the WTA Tour Championships in Istanbul next week, former World No. 1 Caroline Wozniacki said after winning the Kremlin Cup tennis tournament here.
Wozniacki finished runner-up to Kim Clijsters at the Tour Championships in Doha in 2010, her second of three appearances at the event, but the Dane's tumble to 11th in the rankings this season means she will miss out.
"Serena is definitely a favourite always, indoors she's serving well and she has good shots," Wozniacki said Sunday, adding that it was "tough to say" who would come out on top in Turkey.
Wozniacki said she was disappointed not to have a place in Istanbul but was aiming to play well in the second-tier tournament of champions in Sofia, which starts Oct 30.
"Obviously you want to be playing in Istanbul, no doubt that's the goal at the beginning of the season. But that didn't happen this year and that's just something that is sports sometimes. I'm going to go to Sofia and just do my best," she said.
Wozniacki's defeated opponent in the Moscow final was Australian World No. 9 Sam Stosur, who will be in Istanbul as first alternate for the tournament, to step in if one of the top eight automatic qualifiers retires.
"As far as Istanbul goes, I'm going there tonight, so I have one day to prepare and then if I have to play, then I'll be as ready as what I can be. Time will tell whether or not I get to play another match this year," Stosur said.
Wozniacki beat Stosur 2-6, 6-4, 7-5 to win the $740,000 indoor hard court tournament. (IANS)
- Nicole Scherzinger reveals new album was like 'therapy'
- 'Avatar 2' to begin casting in LA, Wellington soon
- 'Busy' Brad Pitt owes buddy George Clooney 'wedding present'
- Amal Clooney is funny, 'supremely' self-confident in real life
- 'Bigg Boss' has made me a household name: Andy
- Officially divorced Heidi Klum gushes about new beau
- Archie Panjabi to quit 'The Good Wife' for new 20th Century Fox TV pilot
- Kourtney Kardashian expecting 'baby girl'