London, Dec. 7 : British citizens have paid 292 million pounds so far in keeping foreign prisoners behind bars.
That is the cost of holding 7,500 immigrants from 160 nations who committed crimes after arrival here.
The British Ministry of Justice figures show they make up almost one in 10 of prisoners in England and Wales.
According to the Daily Express, they have been jailed for almost 900 sex offences, more than 2,000 drugs crimes, 1,500 violent attacks – including murders – and more than 900 cases of fraud or forgery.
A prison place costs the taxpayer 39,000 pounds per year.
Jamaicans, who at 791 head the prison population of foreigners, have the worst records for drug crimes, violence and sex attacks.
Poles have the worst record for theft and handling, Lithuanians commit the most driving offences and Nigerians head the list of foreign convicted fraudsters.(ANI)
- Sony's SmartEyeglass to be available for purchase by March
- Electric car sets new 204.9 miles-per-hour world land speed record
- Facebook dispenses apprehensions about its iOS8 app privacy setting changes in blog post
- Online attack on eBay puts buyers' credentials at risk: Report
- Microsoft develops keyboard designed for iOS, Android, Windows tabs
- Siemens Plans to Acquire Dresser-Rand for $6 billion Says Sources
- OSI Group to Cut 340 Jobs in China in Relation to Food Safety Scandal
- PARK(ing) Day Celebration Turns Parking Spots into Temporary Parks
- Oasis Beverages a Russian Company Buys Pabst
- About 6.4 trillion calories to be cut from food products