New York, Nov 21 : New York Police has arrested a 27-year-old man on suspicion of planning to bomb targets including police cars and postal offices.
According to the BBC, Jose Pimentel was charged with three terrorism-related counts, was just “one hour away from completing” the terror plot.
City Mayor, Michael Bloomberg described him as a “lone wolf” who was also allegedly planning to target US troops returning from abroad.
Bloomberg called him “a 27-year-old Al Qaeda sympathizer” who was motivated by terrorist propaganda and resentment of US troops in Afghanistan and Iraq.
According to the report, Pimentel got instructions on how to build a pipe bomb from Al-Qaeda''s Inspire magazine, published by radical cleric Anwar al-Awlaki, who was killed in a CIA strike in Yemen in September.
The mayor said police had constructed a duplicate of an explosive device he alleged the suspect had built.
According to court documents, Pimentel told police he “took active steps to build the bomb, including shaving the match heads and drilling holes in the pipes”. (ANI)
- New app lets you add multimedia stories to 23Snaps news feed
- Now, online-dating app that matches people based on voice
- Robotic prosthesis turns amputee drummer into three-armed cyborg
- How to ace video interviews revealed
- Now, CUPID drone that shoots 80,000 volts to keep trespassers off your property