Sun exposure, excessive heat can damage hair
New Delhi [India], April 28 : The scorching sun, excessive perspiration, dust and dirt make our hair vulnerable in summers.
The heat of the sun, the UV radiation can damage the hair. It can also cause discoloration, which will be clearly evident in colored or bleached hair. The dry and hot winds take away all the moisture from our skin, scalp and hair and make them look lifeless and burnt.
Excessive sweating too does no good to the hair, making them a sticking point for all the dust and pollution that is in the air. Hence, we need to follow extra care to keep our hair clean, scalp infection free and protected during summers.
Here are some tips by Dr Sapna V Roshni, plastic and reconstructive surgeon at Cocoona Centre for Aesthetic Transformation, to prevent hair damage during summers:
- Wash them frequently: This might look like the most basic thing to do; yet many people do not understand its importance. The humidity, heat, dust and the resultant sweating means your hair and scalp is vulnerable to bacterial and fungal infections, especially if you spend a lot of time outdoors. It is recommended to use an ideal shampoo to wash or clean the hair as required. However, excessive use of shampoo can deplete moisture from your scalp; therefore pick a moisturizing shampoo that will keep your hair hydrated even as it cleanses it.
- Oil them: Oil your hair regularly with warm oil because frequent shampooing can deplete all moisture from your scalp. At the same time, do not be excessive in oil application as then the hair will need greater quantity of shampoo to wash it off, and this twin excess can be traumatic to the hair. Use oil in moderate quantity on every application.
- Cover from the Sun: Even a few minutes of direct exposure to the sun can cause damage to the hair. Much like the skin, the sun's harmful UV radiation are also dangerous to the hair. When you step out, wear a head gear - a hat or a scarf -- that covers your hair. Also, start using hair care products like conditioners with sunscreen; they will give your hair a protective covering.
- Limit Use of blow driers and hot irons: Blow drying throws a lot of heat on hair and it damages the hair follicles in the process. So keep the heat low and better apply a softening mousse on the hair. Blow drying can also cause the pores of the scalp to open up and this can lead dirt and pollution to enter, weakening the roots.
- Be Careful While Swimming: It might be relieving to send time in the pool, but the hair might not like it. Wear a shower cap or else apply conditioner on your hair before stepping into the pool to protect your hair against pool chemicals like chlorine. Immediately wash up after you step out.
- Check the Fizz: Get your hair trimmed as the summer season begins so that there are no split hair ends and damaged hair. This ensures the hair is healthier to begin with. Using a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner is important to prevent extra dryness and the fizz that comes with it. (ANI)
- Fiat’s all-electric E-Ducato commercial van boasts lots of impressive features & specs
- Ford to build “Ion Park” in southeast Michigan for in-house battery cell production
- Genesis unveils fully-electric G80 at 2021 Shanghai Auto Show
- VW to equip all MEB-based EVs with bidirectional charging capability starting next year
- Nissan’s European and Japanese teams collaborate to test Ariya electric SUV ahead of production