Italy

Mauri signs one-year extension with Lazio

Stefano MauriRome, May 31 - Stefano Mauri confirmed Friday that he has signed a one-year contract extension with Italian football club Lazio.

The 34-year-old, whose current deal was to expire at the end of the month, confirmed the news through his twitter account, reports Xinhua.

"Together again," Mauri tweeted. "I am proud of this club and the shirt I'm wearing."

"Forza Lazio sempre (Go Lazio, always)! " he said via twitter.

He played 12 times last term, scoring four times for Lazio.(IANS)

Djokovic rallies to beat Nadal in Italian Open final

Novak-DjokovicRome, May 19 " Novak Djokovic beat Rafael Nadal for the fourth straight time to capture his third Italian Open title with a 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 win here.

In their 41st-career meeting, the most between two ATP players in the Open Era, Djokovic, the second seed, overcame a slow start to dominate the remaining two sets of the match here Sunday, reports Xinhua.

The precision of his hitting kept top-ranked Nadal on the defensive for much of the match, and he finished with 46 winners to just 15 for Nadal.

Djokovic beats Nadal in Italian Open dedicates it to flood victims in Serbia

Novak DjokovicRome, May 19 - Novak Djokovic dedicated his third Italian Open title win on Sunday to flood victims at home in Serbia.

He beat defending champion and world number one Raphael Nadal 4-6 6-3 6-3 in two hours and 19 minutes. This was his third win in a row against the Spaniard, and has been victorious at five of the last six ATP Masters 1000 events, reports the BBC.

Nadal was quoted , as saying that the past week has been very hard mentally and physically. He admitted to being very tired after losing to Djokovic.

Nadal, Djokovic to face off in Italian Open final

Nadal, Djokovic to face off in Italian Open finalRome, May 18 - Top seed Rafael Nadal beat Grigor Dimitrov of Bulgaria in straight sets to face second seed Novak Djokovic in Italian Open final.

Nadal Saturday brushed aside Dimitrov 6-2, 6-2 while Djokovic had earlier fought his way past big-serving Milos Raonic 6-7 (5-7), 7-6 (7-4), 6-3, Xinhua reported.

The Spaniard earned his first two-set win of the week as Dimitrov seemed helpless before the seven-time champion's defence.

Murray to face Nadal in Rome Masters quarters

Andy-MurrayRome, May 16 : Andy Murray beat Austria's Jurgen Melzer in the Rome Masters to set up a quarterfinal clash with world No. 1 Rafael Nadal of Spain.

Murray produced a determined display to win 7-6 (7-1), 6-4 Thursday, reports Xinhua.

Nadal overcame a slow start to ease to victory over Mikhail Youzhny 6-7 (7-4), 6-2, 6-1.

Andy Murray, who turned 27 Thursday, won 15 points from 16 to win the first set tie-break and raced to a 2-0 lead in the second set.

"To be honest it's not a bad thing for me to play Nadal because I haven't played him for a long time," said Murray.

Conte to renew contract with Juventus: Marotta

beppe-marottaRome, April 17 : Juventus sporting director Beppe Marotta has revealed that Antonio Conte will sign contract extension at the end of the season.

The 44-year-old Juve head coach's current deal will expire at June 2015, and his contract will be renewed when this season finishes, Marotta said Wednesday, reports Xinhua.

"Conte has already said that the renewal will be discussed at the end of this season," he said.

"Our club is fully satisfied with his work, and for sure he has a contract with us, he is a leader. We are very proud to have him with us," he said.

Benitez demands Napoli to improve defence

Benitez demands Napoli to improve defenceRome, April 14 - Napoli head coach Rafa Benitez urged his side to improve their defence following their 4-2 win over 10-man Lazio at home in Italian football league Serie A.

Gonzalo Higuain scored his first Serie A hat-trick in a thriller where Lazio, though reduced to 10 three minutes after the break, threatened a lot in the second half. Benitez was delighted by Higuain's performance but not the team's defence, reports Xinhua.

'Rossi working hard to regain fitness'

Giuseppe-RossiRome, April 5 : Giuseppe Rossi is working hard to regain fitness in hope of playing the Coppa Italia final, his agent said.

The Fiorentina striker has been sidelined since early January when he suffered a knee injury, and since then he has been working to recover as soon as possible, his agent Andrea Pastorello said Friday, reports Xinhua.

"Giuseppe has worked so much," Pastorello said. "For over two months now he has worked twice a day, six days a week.  He has done all of this with an above average intensity too."

Roma beat Parma to close in on Juventus

Roma beat Parma to close in on JuventusRome, April 3 - Roma beat Parma 4-2 in a rescheduled Serie A game at home on and has cut Juventus' lead to eight points.

Parma suffered their third defeat in a row following an unbeaten run of 16 games as they could not contain the inspired Roma players, reported xinhua.

Roma struck first in the 12th minute after Destro's right-footed shot hit the post, where the awaiting Gervinho pounced to tap in the rebound.

Seedorf urges Milan to beat Chievo

Seedorf urges Milan to beat ChievoMilan, March 29 - AC Milan head coach Clarence Seedorf has urged his side to carry on with their good form to register a win over Chievo.

The Milan side, following a draw at Lazio and win against Fiorentina, will chase a win against Chievo at home Saturday, Xinhua quoted Seedorf as saying.

"The last two matches have been very important for us and we should remember that we haven't always got what we deserved in some games," he said.

Italy rejects marines' trial in India: envoy

Staffan-de-MisturaRome, March 26 : Italy will not participate in the trial of two Italian marines held in India for over two years for allegedly killing two Indian fishermen, Italy's special envoy in the case Staffan de Mistura said Wednesday.

"Whatever happens at the March 28 hearing in New Delhi, we will not be present," De Mistura told an Italian house committee.

De Mistura said that "the Italian position is very firm" and that is "no trial", ANSA news agency reported.

De Mistura also reiterated that Italy's goal was to rally international support for the case.

Italian police arrest two people over slush funds

Italian police arrest two people over slush fundsRome, March 25 - Italian police Monday arrested two former officials of the government-controlled Finmeccanica, Italy's biggest defence and aerospace group, in an investigation into allegations of bribery and corruption, media reported.

Lorenzo Borgogni, former director of external relations for Finmeccanica, and Stefano Carlini, former chief operating officer of subsidiary Selex, were arrested along with two entrepreneurs in Rome, Xinhua reported.

Bagged lettuce recalled by Dole Fresh Vegetables

DoleBagged lettuce is being recalled following contaminations. The items being referred to incorporate Dole's Italian Blend, Fresh Selections Italian Style Blend, Little Salad Bar Italian Salad and Marketside Italian Style Salad, all stamped with the best use by date of March 12.

In spite of the fact that the sacks of lettuce being referred to are a day past their utilization by date and "exceedingly impossible" to be still found on retail shelves, the FDA declared today that Dole Fresh Vegetables is voluntarily reviewing a mixture of lettuces because of concerns over a conceivable health hazard from Listeria monocytogenes.

De Rossi banned for three matches

De Rossi banned for three matchesRome, March 4 - Daniele De Rossi has been banned for three Serie A games after being found punching Mauro Icardi in the face during Saturday's Roma home 0-0 draw with Inter Milan.

The Serie A's disciplinary committee in a statement said Monday that the Roma player's misconduct was detected by television instead of the referees, reports Xinhua.

"The television replays show that the Roma player aggressively pushed the opposition player's head," the statement read.

"Then, in quick succession, he punched Icardi with the same hand from behind," it said.

Juventus coach wary of Roma

Juventus coach wary of RomaRome, Feb 24 - Juventus head coach Antonio Conted has admitted he was wary of AS Roma, whose good form has put pressure on the Turin side in the the race for the Italian Serie A title.

Roma, who are nine points adrift of Juventus with one game in hand, are a team more dangerous than Napoli of last season, according to Conte, reports Xinhua.

"We're having a great campaign, but Roma are playing great football and have enthusiasm. Are they more dangerous than Napoli were last year? Yes. Definitely," he said.

Italian PM resigns amid much bickering

Enrico-LettaRome, Feb 14 : Italian Prime Minister Enrico Letta submitted his resignation Friday after 10 months as the head of two bickering Left-right coalitions.

Before tendering his resignation to President Giorgio Napolitano, Letta thanked those who had "helped me" amid constant sniping where "every day seemed my last", ANSA reported.

Napolitano is expected to give the mandate for the formation of a new government to the leader of Letta's Democratic Party, Mayor of Florence Matteo Renzi.

Chopper deal: Italian trade union urges government to act

vvip-helicopterRome, Jan 4 : An Italian trade union has urged the government to intervene after India cancelled a $770 million (Rs. 3,600 crore) helicopter deal hit by corruption allegations.

In a statement, the Fim-Cisl union's national coordinator Paolo Carini said Friday that Rome must "roll out a diplomatic initiative towards the Indian government on an issue that has been dragging on for many months".

Aquilani has six months to convince Prandelli

Alberto-AquilaniRome, Dec 27 : Fiorentina midfielder Alberto Aquilani has expressed his wish to be picked up by Italy coach Cesare Prandelli for next year's World Cup tournament.

Aquilani, who scored five goals in 33 appearances for Italy, said Brazil 2014 could be his last chance of appearing at a World Cup, reports Xinhua.

"Being picked for the squad is the objective of all, as this could be my last World Cup," he said.

He said he will work hard to impress Prandelli.

"Italy boss Cesare Prandelli expects even more from me, but now I have six months left to convince him to pick me," he said.

Conte disappointed at reports about him in illegal betting

Conte disappointed at reports about him in illegal bettingMilan, Dec 19 - Juventus head coach Antonio Conte claimed that he was disappointed to see some recent reports connecting him with the illegal betting scandal.

The Calcioscommesse scandal came back under public scrutiny this week after Gennaro Gattuso and Cristian Brocchi were accused of being involved in the betting scam, reports Xinhua.

Conte, who was banned in 2012 for failing to report an incident when he was involved at Siena, was mentioned by some recent news stories released about the scandal.

Roma could've done better against Milan: Garcia

Rudi-GarciaMilan, Dec 17 : Roma head coach Rudi Garcia was disappointed with his side who wasted chances in their 2-2 draw with AC Milan in Italian Serie A football at San Siro.

Mattia Destro and Kevin Strootman had twice put the visitors ahead, and Cristian Zapata and Sulley Muntari scored to help Milan equalise twice here Monday night, reports Xinhua.

"In terms of football I have to be disappointed, as when we are in front twice we' ve got to avoid certain mistakes in defence," Garcia said.

Syndicate content