Baitullah Mehsud ready for talks with new Pak Government
Islamabad, Feb. 25: Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan chief Baitullah Mehsud has said that he is ready for talks with the new government if it stops President Musharraf’s “war on terror” in tribal areas.
“The Taliban do not want hostile relations with the new government and are ready for talks with political parties for a lasting peace in the NWFP and the tribal region,” Baitullah’s spokesman Maulvi Umar told journalists on phone from an undisclosed location.
Baitullah’s men had earlier this month declared a ceasefire in South Waziristan where elections were postponed because of clashes.
According to the Dawn, Maulvi Umar expressed the hope that the new government would not follow the “flawed policies” of President Musharraf and would respect the people’s mandate.
“We are ready for negotiations with the new government if it doesn’t re-impose a war on us. If it (new government) continues with the policies of President Musharraf we will resume our activities,” he warned.
He welcomed the victory of opposition parties in the elections and said they had won because of sacrifices rendered by the local Taliban. (ANI)