Havana, Feb 5 : Thousands of new cases of skin cancer are being reported in Cuba, a health official warned.
Around 5,000 new skin cancer cases are reported each year in the Caribbean island, said Olaine Gray of the public health ministry at an annual national skin cancer awareness campaign on World Cancer Day.
The main causes of the increase in skin cancer cases include Cuba's geographical location, its ageing population, and the increasing popularity of tanning, according to Gray.
The thinning of the protective ozone layer and a decrease in cloud cover were allowing more cancer-causing ultraviolet radiation to come through, he said. (IANS)
- Toshiba, United Technologies ink agreement for global growth in HVAC solutions
- Google offers artificial personal assistant for users ready to give up personal info
- Apple launches iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus in India
- Google profits plunges 5 percent YOY, in Q3
- HCL Technologies Q1 Net up 32.3% at Rs 1,873 crore