The post of the President of Punjab Youth Congress (PYC) has been given to Ravneet Singh Bittu, a close confidant of the former Congress chief minister Captain Amarinder Singh.
Bittu's grandfather was the former congress chief minister of Punjab, Beant Singh who was assassinated during the peak days of militancy in Punjab.
Five general secretaries -- Ashwani Kumar, Sukhwinder Singh, Kawalpreet Singh, Rajbir Kaur and Ratinder Kaur -- were also elected during the election process overseen by the Congress General Secretary Rahul Gandhi. Amarinder Singh Raja was declared the PYC vice- president.
Earlier in the day, the voters and delegates were urged by Gandhi to exercise their rights without coming under any pressure.
On the whole, 16 candidates were in the fray for the posts of President, vice-president, secretary and general secretary. All the candidates were advised to express their views on serving the masses, in the presence of Gandhi.
Nearly 2430 voters from across the state exercised their franchise.
- Toshiba, United Technologies ink agreement for global growth in HVAC solutions
- Google offers artificial personal assistant for users ready to give up personal info
- Apple launches iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus in India
- Google profits plunges 5 percent YOY, in Q3
- HCL Technologies Q1 Net up 32.3% at Rs 1,873 crore